What is the goal of HS varsity softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Winning the state championship and/or sending players on to college are in many ways beyond the control of the varsity coach; those things are the result of a developmental program that has to start well before HS.

Certainly you can refine and develop talent, but in order to be a serious state title contender you have to have a feeder program producing 3-4 top players a year and an ace pitcher every other year. To do that you either need a dynamite rec program or access to some high-level travel teams.
That depends upon how the HS program is set up. For example, I have 6th graders signing up for lessons now. They will hit in our system for 7th and 8th grade and then enter the HS where I coach with a strong foundation in our system. While I understand your point, great programs can be developed by the HS staff. As an FYI, a parent came to me last night and asked if I would include his dd in lessons. He lives an hour and ten minutes away. Our program is known for hitting. We also do "advanced hitting camps" which are open to the public but almost all of our players participate in them. If you HS staff is willing to work, they can get it done.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Goals in HS around here include everything from 'win at all costs including cheating' to 'field a team so no one can claim TitleIX on us while we sink everything into football.'

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
That depends upon how the HS program is set up. For example, I have 6th graders signing up for lessons now. They will hit in our system for 7th and 8th grade and then enter the HS where I coach with a strong foundation in our system. While I understand your point, great programs can be developed by the HS staff. As an FYI, a parent came to me last night and asked if I would include his dd in lessons. He lives an hour and ten minutes away. Our program is known for hitting. We also do "advanced hitting camps" which are open to the public but almost all of our players participate in them. If you HS staff is willing to work, they can get it done.
I have been preaching this for years. Too many HS coaches are looking at 10 weeks and a check. Fortunately, our HS Superintendent is an ex HS softball coach and he gets "building a program." We had a long talk about it and I am looking forward to next year for various reasons.

Jun 7, 2016
"I have been preaching this for years. Too many HS coaches are looking at 10 weeks and a check. Fortunately, our HS Superintendent is an ex HS softball coach and he gets "building a program." We had a long talk about it and I am looking forward to next year for various reasons. "

Our school has explicit policy of district teachers first, nearby district teachers next, if still not filled, they use a mirror, still no takers a thermometer. So, most positions are filled by a teacher who may or may not know much about a given sport (have seen this) and even if they do may not be a good coach (care enough about the program and players.

Feb 7, 2013
For my D, the goal is to play a Varisty sport for your school (school spirit), with a group of friends that you had not played with since rec ball (most of the players are spread out amongst several different travel ball teams over the years), and hopefully make the city playoffs. It's generally a lot more relaxed environment than travel ball, filled with many girls who will not play in college. BTW - they just qualified for playoffs for the 1st time in 15+ years and is ironic as our very good D1 (Big 10) pitcher who graduated last year just couldn't get us in to the playoffs. Sports are funny that way.

Jun 11, 2013
The goal of every team is to play the best you possibly can. For some schools it's to win State, for others it's to make it to the the playoffs. Some it might be to win 5 games. Each season might be different. Some years you might go young as your upper classes just aren't very good and you try to build. Long term the best coaches build a program where they can just keep reloading year after year.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Coaching HS softball is like a hand of 5 card poker. You play the hand you are dealt and make the most of it. Done well it is the toughest gig in softball. The best coaches put their best team on the field which may or may not include all of the best individuals.

Apr 15, 2019
Well at my DD’s high school in Md the softball program is joke.

High School politics I guess you can call it.

My DD Is a sophomore and plays on the varsity team, however does not get much playing time because one of the girls on the team her father is the coach and older sister is the assistant coach.

The father and older sister are also the coaches for a 16/18C program that just about all of the varsity starters play for....... are you shitting me !!!!!!

My DD and two other girls who are not starters on the varsity team either, play for an elite 18a showcase travel program, and can run circles around the rest of these girls. When I brought this up to the coach my daughter received less playing time...... you must be shitting me !!!!!
She wants to quit, but I convinced her to stick it out, only a few games left this year, and they will be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

High School sports are a joke.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
My son said that HS baseball was just where he got to play on the same team as all of his school buddies since they had all played on separate travel ball teams since they were 10 years old. Most the time politics got involved with the HS team, certain kids had to play or play certain positions because they were large Boosters kids.

Next year I am sure I will discover that HS softball is much of the same. The players are scouted at travel ball tournaments and showcases. Some schools or leagues will take it more serious than others. And the girls will get to play with their school friends who all play in different organizations the other 9 months of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45