What is the Expectation of Developing Secondary Positions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
This question doesn’t have to pertain to a specific age group or skill level (other than competitive travel ball) but I was looking to get some other coaches/players/parents perspectives on the expectations of a coach to develop secondary positions.

Let’s say a portion of practice time is already spent developing all around defensive skills for all players (infield/outfield).

As an example, catcher #1 is a good catcher but lacks the skill to be an option at another position. She still needs the work at her primary position when we do position specific work/situational work.

Is there an expectation of the coach to sacrifice primary position development for secondary position development?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This question doesn’t have to pertain to a specific age group or skill level (other than competitive travel ball) but what I was looking to get some other coaches/players/parents perspectives on the expectations of a coach to develop secondary positions.

Let’s say a portion of practice time is already spend developing all around defensive skills for all players (infield/outfield).

As an example, catcher #1 is a good catcher but lacks the skill to be an option at another position. She still needs the work at her primary position when we do position specific work/situational work.

Is there an expectation of the coach to sacrifice primary position development for secondary position development?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If a player has the athletic ability to be a number 1 catcher, she most likely could play 3rd too.
Now pitchers.... that's a different story.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I always tell my players that it's helpful to learn multiple positions because then they are more useful to me. If you know one position and someone else is better than you at that spot, there's a chance you're just not going to play much.

In practice, I am always looking for people to fill spots, and if I find someone for a spot, I'm not going to spend a lot of time working her at a different spot. At least not during a team practice. If she wants to come to me during the summer or some other time or even before/after practice to try something new, I'll work with her. But that's atthe high school level.

For our 10u team, some girls eventually earn certain spots toward the end of the year, but there's a lot more "learn all the positions/play all the positions" going on there.

So to answer that final question: If a player has a primary position, I'm probably not spending a ton of time on the secondary position*. If they don't yet have one, then I'm moving them around to find where they'll excel. I do a lot of trying things until I find something that works, but when I find it, I don't like to change it too much.

*It also depends on the positions we're talking about. Teaching a C who only knows C to do something else is probably going to be more difficult than teaching my JV SS to play second or third base because she's not better than the varsity SS but otherwise is good enough to be on the varsity team.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Depends on what type of team we are talking about... If this is a rec team, the entire purpose (in my opinion) is player development. The coaching staff most definitely should be working each player at multiple positions.

In travel ball it becomes more fuzzy. Yes there are travel ball teams that focus specifically on player development. There are others who tend to recruit players to fill specific positions. Their not as focused on developing as they are on game experience. Then of course you have the showcase teams with a different focus yet.

If you as a parent have specific expectations, you should try your best to find a team that fits those expectations.

Jun 11, 2013
By the time they are at 14U all good players should at least know how to play all positions (outside of P and C). I wouldn't expect them to have all the nuances but if you put someone at 2B and they don't know they cover 1st on a bunt after seeing it practiced for 4 years they aren't paying attention. Particularly catchers should as they see the whole game every play.

It's really nice to have multiple options when you are playing in triple digit temps and want to keep a kid off the field for a few innings.

Oct 4, 2018
Never too late or too old to learn a position.

When possible, we try to let girls play other positions and in practice often have girls fielding different positions. At the younger ages for sure, even into 12U and 14U, I like playing girls in different positions some in pool games.

Jul 14, 2018
Now pitchers.... that's a different story.

In my experience (that is, watching DD’s practices), pitchers have more opportunity to learn secondary positions than most other players. You have to carry 2-3 pitchers on a roster, but only one at a time can get defensive reps in the circle during a practice. So they have the chance to move around.

So far this fall, DD has played every inning in CF that she has not been in the circle. She’s solid out there, and enjoys it. At least she has a fallback if pitching doesn’t work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 17, 2009
I'll go the other way. Especially at older ages, to me it is extremely rare that a player can play multiple positions (well). Those that do are usually extremely good athletes or just have a head for the game. I've had ca couple of catchers who could play shortstop -- but they were unique talents. I had a small, fast second basemen who turned out to be able to chase balls down in the outfield and also have a good enough arm to make plays. But in most cases by high-level 18U there's enough nuance to positions that at best you can have some groupings and even then you are likely to lose something when going to a player's 'secondary' position: catcher/1b (if they can hit); 2B/SS (maybe, though honestly doubtful as the angles, throws and skills are quite a bit different), multiple corner OF positions (though probably not CF as I expect a lot out of my CFer). Overall, I see very few infielders that can play outfield equally well and vice versa and pitchers, well...if you're a number 1 pitcher I'm good with you staying in the circle for the most part though I like down-the-line pitchers to be able to have another primary position (since they aren't number 1 on the mound).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse