What is the Expectation of Developing Secondary Positions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A mom, who's dd just started 10u travel after 2 or 3 seasons in rec, was talking about how in rec if you pitch cant play another infield spot.
Other dd catches, same for her, catch then cant play other infield spot.
They got a little time in outfield.
But no secondary infield position. Opportunity denied by rules.

Now they find the 10u pitchers new travel ball coaches see her secondary position is 2nd.

The catcher in travel the more obvious plays 1st & 3rd.

But neither had game time experience there befor travel.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
First I appreciate the responses. I think my question is being misinterpreted. I wasn’t asking IF a player should have a secondary position, I was asking what the expectation was for a TB coach to develop the secondary. As in how much time, do you take away time from primary position development, is this more on the individual player outside of team practice, etc. Thanks!

Jul 27, 2020
I think that is going to vary big time from team to team, coach to coach etc....It’s probably a good reason to set clear expectations before a season starts.

My PERSONAL opinion is they should all develop secondary positions, but that the amount of time they spend practicing that secondary position will decrease with age. Something along the lines of 70/30 at 10U, to 90/10 at 16U etc....

My daughter’s 10U team spends a fair bit of time on fundamentals in the infield and outfield, everyone participates no matter what your position(s) area. However, we are in the young, developmental stage so it is age appropriate.

My personal EXPERIENCE having played baseball at a large, relatively competitive college was that we recruited players who could play anywhere. Unless you were a unusually gifted pitcher, your skill set at a specific position was not the reason you were offered a spot. Character, Effort Level, and Talent are all important. This is even more reason to learn more than one position on the diamond.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Working on hitting is always a key to be in the lineup somewhere. I would not neglect this for a 2nd position.

With that said I have seen players tied up because they could only play 1 position. Always run into someone better at some point. DD and I worked on various positions outside of practice. Coaches wanted and was going to play her at a specific position so she got really good at it. Unfortunately next team might need something else. She was OK anywhere and fine tuned as Team needed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee