What is the average player turnover for a softball organization?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
I think it just depends on the team or org.

The org my DD was in for her first 3 years essentially rebuilt the teams every year. When she left that team, she was 1 of 3 new players on her new team. She stayed on that team the following year and they replaced 1. Then, she was the only one to leave that team and was 1 of 5 new players on her new team. 3 of those 5 left over the winter and were replaced. Then coming into this year, 5 of the 11 left and we picked up 6.

She has subbed on another team in the same org this fall a couple of times and that team has only replaced 1 player in the last 3-4 years.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
33% is great... our turnover rate this year was about 99%... of course from a roster of 14, 1 stayed, 1 left, and 12 aged out... :( Ugh rebuilding time.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The biggest drop is from 14U to 16U. When kids start HS, a lot of kids give up softball for music, other sports, boys, etc.

I was affiliated with the Naperville Diamonds many years ago. It does not field elite teams, but they do have a lot of kids.

For travel ball, they have two 10U teams, five 12U teams, four 14U teams, two 16U teams, and one 18U teams. The 10U numbers are a little skewed because they have a large "semi-travel" program for 10U kids. A lot of kids do that, and then the interested ones move into 12U travel teams.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We live in a fairly populated environment.

Sluggers mentioned the diamonds.

They have some players that should be playing for us, we have some players that should be playing for them.

We see a lot of the players DD used to play with either in tourneys or school ball.

Jul 4, 2018
I think the fact that there are so many teams around it drives up the amount of turnover. Around us there are so many teams especially at the B and low A level. Until 14u (and even then) I would never let my daughter sit the bench just to be on a certain team.

Sep 3, 2018
Not every player is going to have the same wants or needs as the team will have moving from one year to the next. There are hundreds of teams in the area, turnover is going to happen

Jun 29, 2012
too many teams. 11 players maybe 12 ona roster. i realize some 18u national teams carry maybe 16. but thats because they dont all normally show. i dont like the trend of split age teams. there are too many of them and it dilutes the team talent. i wish half of say 2 12u teams would combine their 11', for the others 12's.

Jun 12, 2015
too many teams. 11 players maybe 12 ona roster. i realize some 18u national teams carry maybe 16. but thats because they dont all normally show. i dont like the trend of split age teams. there are too many of them and it dilutes the team talent. i wish half of say 2 12u teams would combine their 11', for the others 12's.

Yeah but different kids want different things. In 12U, which is where we play, I like 12 on a roster. Nobody has to sit a huge amount. I don't have an opinion on 14U since we haven't gotten there yet, but I'd think with the growing social commitments of the girls, 14 sounds reasonable. 16-24 like DILLIGAF said seems crazy though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812