what is rule for players stopping at a base other than 1B, NFHS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
this girl just plowed into the 2B body.
If the runner is judged to have purposefully collided with the fielder (presumably in an effort to jar the ball loose, but not a required element in making the call).....but does not seem your umpire saw it this way on that day.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So dump article 5 ... Article 1 was the point.

Considering:

1) the thread title doesn’t exactly coincide with the OP,
2) there was no question in the OP,
3) I gave you my opinions on what may have occurred, and
4) I’ve provided the citation for the definition of a catch and a non-catch scenario

I’m not sure what more you are asking for. I can provide citations for illegal slides (there was no slide), interference (there was no interference), and malicious contact (mentioned earlier).

The main thing was the umpire pulled the trigger on his call too quickly. Beyond that, what does the OP want to know? There are rules about sliding, touching bases, overrunnning bases, staying in contact with bases, etc. There is no rule about stopping on bases.

I'm not asking for anything, but I believe you are looking at too many "what ifs" that just are not there in the OP. I am however pointing out that the runner initiated contact with a fielder attempting to retire that runner which is covered in NFHS 8.6.13. and 8.6.10

So, IMO, the runner is either out on the force (w/possession of the ball) or INT.

May 29, 2015
Gotcha’, sorry. I thought there was something more you were driving towards.

In my experience, that is how umpire conversations tend to happen ... answer the question and then go off on several “Yes, and, what if ...” tangents. It helps a person walk through the scenario and have a better understanding. Or, it hopefully prevents an umpire from latching on to some ruling/explanation and then misapplying it due to a variable.

Jun 7, 2019
MTR is correct and stated it well, although I'm not sure how NFHS 8.6.13. and 8.6.10 reads, since I don't ump HS. (Although I did coach varsity for 19 years, not sure I ever read the book.) But I work mostly ASA/USA and USSSA. Both have similarly worded rules for what I believe applies to the situation in the OP, which stated everything I believe we need to know. I'll quote, but number them for clarity: 1) SS, throws to 2B for force, 2) girl catches ball, 3) runner from 1B collides with her, 4) no attempt to slide, 5) ball comes loose.

Based on those 5 things, the runner is out.

ASA/USA - Rule 8, Section 7 (The Runner Is Out), Article Q: When a defensive player has the ball and the runner remains upright and crashes into the defensive player.

Effect: 1) The ball is dead, 2) The runner is out, NEXT 2 NOT APPLICABLE, but for accuracy 3) Runners must return to last base touched, 4) If flagrant, the offender is ejected.

USSSA - RULE 8 Base Running, Section 18 (Any runner is out when the runner): Article E: "does not attempt to avoid the fielder on a force play. NOTE: A legal slide is considered an attempt to avoid."

Always nice when the OP contains all the info you need to come to a conclusion.

May 29, 2015
Tough to say without seeing it. It is possible that F4 did not have control of the ball, even if it appeared to be “in her glove”.

If the runner collided with her without sliding, I’ve probably got interference though. Again, hard to say without seeing it.

Either way, the umpire obviously made the initial call too quickly. We’ve all been there unfortunately.

Before I complicated it ... ☺

May 6, 2015
so is the consensus she should have been out? remember, NFHS rules (with a few mods, but none of them deal with this issue, more about timing, curfew, substitution, etc.)

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Line drive to center - runner at 1B takes off - CF makes catch and lasers the ball to 1B. Runner returns to 1B (standing) after catch is made and bellies into the glove of the fielder, knocking the ball loose.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
so is the consensus she should have been out? remember, NFHS rules (with a few mods, but none of them deal with this issue, more about timing, curfew, substitution, etc.)

If the contact caused the dropped ball ... interference, out.

If she just didn’t have adequate control and the contact was incidental ... safe.

Not seeing it, I’m not sure you can get a consensus. We can just provide you the parameters. The rest is a judgment call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee