what is rule for players stopping at a base other than 1B, NFHS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
last night, runner on 1B, ground ball to SS, throws to 2B for force, girl catches ball, runner from 1B collides with her, no attempt to slide, ball comes loose. Umpire initially said out, then said safe after ball came loose. it was quick, but 2B definitely had ball in her glove prior to runner touching 2B.

Sep 29, 2014
Ultimately this is a judgement call on the umpires part. But this is not the NFL you don't have to complete the catch to the ground. The moment in time that matters is when the girl steps on the bag if she is on the bag and in control of the ball before the runner reaches the bag the runner is out period.

May 6, 2015
Ultimately this is a judgement call on the umpires part. But this is not the NFL you don't have to complete the catch to the ground. The moment in time that matters is when the girl steps on the bag if she is on the bag and in control of the ball before the runner reaches the bag the runner is out period.

that is what I thought. definitely had ball in her glove with foot on bag before runner. if it were a tag play, and ball came loose during collision of glove and whatever part of runner, different story, this girl just plowed into the 2B body.

May 29, 2015
Tough to say without seeing it. It is possible that F4 did not have control of the ball, even if it appeared to be “in her glove”.

If the runner collided with her without sliding, I’ve probably got interference though. Again, hard to say without seeing it.

Either way, the umpire obviously made the initial call too quickly. We’ve all been there unfortunately.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Tough to say without seeing it. It is possible that F4 did not have control of the ball, even if it appeared to be “in her glove”.

Apparently she did have control otherwise the umpire wouldn't have initially ruled her out

May 29, 2015
Not necessarily ... I’m saying from the ump’s angle it looked to be “ball in glove” when it was actually not secure. He banged the call too quick and then the ball squirted out. We’ve all been there unfortunately.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Not necessarily ... I’m saying from the ump’s angle it looked to be “ball in glove” when it was actually not secure. He banged the call too quick and then the ball squirted out. We’ve all been there unfortunately.

But that is not was offered in the OP

May 29, 2015
But that is not was offered in the OP

OK, so here is the rule citation (NFHS 2016) for what the OP presented:

Rule 2 Definitions
SECTION 9 CATCH
ART. 1 . . .
A catch is the act of a fielder who, with her hand( s) and/ or glove/ mitt, securely gains possession of a batted, pitched or thrown ball.
ART. 5 . . . A catch shall not be credited if:
b. Immediately following a catch, the fielder collides with another player, umpire or fence or falls to the ground and fails to maintain possession of the ball.

No catch, runner is safe.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
OK, so here is the rule citation (NFHS 2016) for what the OP presented:

Rule 2 Definitions
SECTION 9 CATCH
ART. 1 . . .
A catch is the act of a fielder who, with her hand( s) and/ or glove/ mitt, securely gains possession of a batted, pitched or thrown ball.
ART. 5 . . . A catch shall not be credited if:
b. Immediately following a catch, the fielder collides with another player, umpire or fence or falls to the ground and fails to maintain possession of the ball.

No catch, runner is safe.

IMO, the OP was not worded as such. It clearly states the defender caught the ball. She did NOT collide with anyone, but the runner collided with her. The condition you quoted is based upon the belief that if the fielder cannot be in control of the ball if they are not in control of themselves.. That was not the case being offered.

May 29, 2015
So dump article 5 ... Article 1 was the point.

Considering:

1) the thread title doesn’t exactly coincide with the OP,
2) there was no question in the OP,
3) I gave you my opinions on what may have occurred, and
4) I’ve provided the citation for the definition of a catch and a non-catch scenario

I’m not sure what more you are asking for. I can provide citations for illegal slides (there was no slide), interference (there was no interference), and malicious contact (mentioned earlier).

The main thing was the umpire pulled the trigger on his call too quickly. Beyond that, what does the OP want to know? There are rules about sliding, touching bases, overrunnning bases, staying in contact with bases, etc. There is no rule about stopping on bases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom