What is 'Chicken Wing'?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I originally thought chicken wing was front elbow bent 90 degrees ish and far away from the chest. I am reading somethings now that are saying it is actually the rear elbow with less than 90 degrees pinned to the side. Curious what the actual 'definition' is. thanks.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Chicken wing either elbow pinned to the side.
Verbage factors in to defense mechanics also.

Sep 19, 2018
I've always associated it with throwing elbow with less than 90 degrees, pinned or very close to the side. I've never heard it in reference to hitting.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I originally thought chicken wing was front elbow bent 90 degrees ish and far away from the chest
You were 'originally' right.....It's the lead arm.
Here is and example showing what 'chicken winging' is(didn't watch all of the video):

Mar 13, 2017
You were 'originally' right.....It's the lead arm.
Here is and example showing what 'chicken winging' is(didn't watch all of the video):

Watched all of it not sure I like what he was showing. To get rid of the chicken wing he was having the kid intentionally straighten his front arm to create lag. Looked a lot more like drag to me

Jul 29, 2013
Watched all of it not sure I like what he was showing. To get rid of the chicken wing he was having the kid intentionally straighten his front arm to create lag. Looked a lot more like drag to me
Chicken wing happens when the turn stops and the hands move the bat to the ball. AKA a push swing.
The fix is turning to the ball and not moving the hands forward/across the body.

Mar 13, 2017
Chicken wing happens when the turn stops and the hands move the bat to the ball. AKA a push swing.
The fix is turning to the ball and not moving the hands forward/across the body.
Totally agree and in the first clip definitely pushing his hands a bit but I’m not sure what was shown is the appropriate fix. However looking at tee placement the ball looks a bit more outside so maybe that’s why he was so stiff in his front arm.

Jul 29, 2013
Totally agree and in the first clip definitely pushing his hands a bit but I’m not sure what was shown is the appropriate fix. However looking at tee placement the ball looks a bit more outside so maybe that’s why he was so stiff in his front arm.
Hard to pull your bat across your body with a stiff back arm.

Jul 29, 2013
You’ve lost me, is your fix similar to the instructor in the video or different? Did you mean stiff front arm? Or am I just completely misunderstanding?
I'm referring to a stiff front arm, with the bicep muscle almost pinned against the batter's chest.....arm bar.... I like it.
I don't like the instructor in the video at all. Not necessarily this video, but most all of his other work. If you go to his site you'll see a grown man who can barely hit the ball out of the infield. His entire approach is the reason why.....I find I disagree with the vast majority of what he teaches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802