What I miss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Now that softball is pretty much delayed or cancelled all over. I miss the first year coaches and fans who come on this forum and complain about a rule being misapplied. When it wasn’t
Honestly some of the best comedy this forum provides.

In full disclosure I may have been that newbie once about the look back rule.

Aug 25, 2019
I said mine before, 1B and 2B were playing up, runner on first. The ball was hit in that gap and hit the runner, who was behind the fielders. I let the play go, the coach comes flying out yelling about interference, as were the parents. I calmly explained to the coach once the ball passes a infielder, interference is off.

Jun 22, 2008
I said mine before, 1B and 2B were playing up, runner on first. The ball was hit in that gap and hit the runner, who was behind the fielders. I let the play go, the coach comes flying out yelling about interference, as were the parents. I calmly explained to the coach once the ball passes a infielder, interference is off.

That isnt necessarily correct. If the ball has passed an infielder and no other fielder has a play then it isnt interference. Just because is passed an infielder does not automatically cancel the interference if the batted ball hits the runner.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
That isnt necessarily correct. If the ball has passed an infielder and no other fielder has a play then it isnt interference. Just because is passed an infielder does not automatically cancel the interference if the batted ball hits the runner.

Do you generally include the right fielder on a ground ball b/w F3 - F4 in this equation? Like determine how deep she is playing and whether she reasonably could have a play at 1st?

Aug 25, 2019
Do you generally include the right fielder on a ground ball b/w F3 - F4 in this equation? Like determine how deep she is playing and whether she reasonably could have a play at 1st?
When a runner is hit with a fair batted ball after it is touched or has passed an infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire judges that another INFIELDER had no opportunity to make a play, the runner is not out and the ball remains live (8.18.N NOTE 2, p 52)

Oct 24, 2010
When a runner is hit with a fair batted ball after it is touched or has passed an infielder, except the pitcher, and the umpire judges that another INFIELDER had no opportunity to make a play, the runner is not out and the ball remains live (8.18.N NOTE 2, p 52)

Which rule set? Derived from OBR? For example: Little League, 7.09k Found it. You're speaking USSSA.
Everyone else, AFAIK, is another fielder has an opportunity to make a play. [USA 8.7.K, NFHS 8-6-11, NCAA 12.17.2.6.2]

Aug 25, 2019
Which rule set? Derived from OBR? For example: Little League, 7.09k Found it. You're speaking USSSA.
Everyone else, AFAIK, is another fielder has an opportunity to make a play. [USA 8.7.K, NFHS 8-6-11, NCAA 12.17.2.6.2]
Yes you are correct, taht is a USSSA rule, USA says opportunity to make an out, so I suppose that would be umpire judgement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802