What does your HS provide?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
oooh maybe they toss the kids a mask this year, too......fall and winter sports got a halfway decent mask with the mascot on it

Feb 7, 2014
So much has changed over the decades in regards to what is provided versus what the student has to pay for. As as student all I needed was a glove (and cleats)... basketball you needed shoes... the same for football. From my perspective sports are becoming more exclusive year by year. An example of this is my DDs high school. Tens of thousands raised on the backs of player fundraising. Why does a high school team need that kind of money - seems excessive ?

Aug 29, 2016
1 jersey, 1 windbreaker, 1 belt, 1 pr of pants and a logo'd bat bag. All returned after the season. Extra helmets are available if needed. Other required equipment can be purchased at a reasonable price. Besides that the HS softball program gets about $500/yr tops from the school. So, as one of the officers of the softball fundraising committee we are charged with funding the rest. We paid for the bags, usually have to help with the uniforms every few years and all other equipment (nets, balls, addl coaches, eoy banquet, etc). Lots of fundraising is needed as it seems we need about 6-7K per season to keep the train running. All of that said, just glad they are playing.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Perhaps because voters have turned down school millages? Or teachers have gotten their union to bargain for raises while budgets didn't go up? I suspect athletics budgets have been it as hard as music, art and drama budgets have.

May 6, 2015
To me, if it is required to be a certain color, school should provide (ie pants, jersey, socks, belt). if not, honestly schools can better spend money elsewhere. if boosters want matching bags, shoes, jackets, undershirts, etc., boosters should pay for it.

interested to hear how different schools do helmets? DD gets very particular about how they fit. do most schools require you to wear school helmet, or helmet in school colors? what about cleats (again, just curious, DD always goes with white/gray color schemes).

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
To me, if it is required to be a certain color, school should provide (ie pants, jersey, socks, belt). if not, honestly schools can better spend money elsewhere. if boosters want matching bags, shoes, jackets, undershirts, etc., boosters should pay for it.

interested to hear how different schools do helmets? DD gets very particular about how they fit. do most schools require you to wear school helmet, or helmet in school colors? what about cleats (again, just curious, DD always goes with white/gray color schemes).

The HS and JH here have team helmets. DD didn’t have an issue finding one that fits. But her teammate has such a small head that even the Small was too big. So she uses the chin strap and ratchets it down.

Players provide their own cleats. No requirement for color. Most girls have some variation of white, red, or gray to match school colors. But it’s not a requirement.

Jul 15, 2016
Not sure if its worth an entirely separate topic or not but what does it cost to play HS ball where you are? Probably a direct correlation to what you receive.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD's school provided pants that all the players were required to wear, common sense prevailed and her and another player got to buy thier own pants black pants. Spectators would have seen more then they wanted if they were forced to wear the school pants, they were not even close to fitting them. :)

Apr 20, 2015
Provided but returned, 2 jerseys, practice shirt, bat bag and helmet.

Girls wear black pants, white socks and their own cleats, batting gloves, etc

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802