What does this tell you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I'm not seeing an arm bar that is "reactionary" here.

His swing starts with a straight lead arm/locked out elbow,
it does not transition to it from some other position.

Right, that's why he didn't swing. His brain said - "If I am already in this bad position way back here even with two strikes I ain't swinging at THAT ball!" (or something like that)

Would like to see a few frames earlier to see how he got to this armbar.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Right, that's why he didn't swing. His brain said - "If I am already in this bad position way back here even with two strikes I ain't swinging at THAT ball!" (or something like that)

Would like to see a few frames earlier to see how he got to this armbar.

For some reason uploading to Giphy over my phone only allows so much time and will cut my gifs short. So I have too adjust starting times (and the end) to show the entire motion.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
I'm not seeing an arm bar that is "reactionary" here.

His swing starts with a straight lead arm/locked out elbow,
it does not transition to it from some other position.

When do you start your swing? The moment he started he intended to hold up. Check it! It just looks as bad as it does because he was barred out! Swing a heavy weight on the end of your extended arm. See how easy it is to control it? Instead of outside down it was way outside and down. Maybe he was fooled. I don't think Paul Molitor would swing like that. But even if a pull-happy hitter, it just demonstrates one of the foibles of hitting with a barred arm.

This is my 66 year old butt demonstrating where to hit the outside pitch, right on the outside corner. I am making contact about 1/3 of the way down the barrel in the sweet spot, have no trouble reaching it since it is deep opposite my belly-button, and my arm is not barred out? Now you will note that my biceps is close to my side, the forearm is extending toward RF, and my full extension will be at RF.

Attachments

• Pitch outside con2.jpg
    Pitch outside con2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 7
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
For some reason uploading to Giphy over my phone only allows so much time and will cut my gifs short. So I have too adjust starting times (and the end) to show the entire motion.

giphy.gif
I am guessing but I think it was - "2 Strikes...should I reach for this thing??...NOoooooo, that thing is way out of the zone, what was I thinking?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802