What does Invited Walk On mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2010
A friends daughter was offered an Invited Walkon by a large D1 school, what does this exactly mean?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I have no first hand knowledge which is probably what you are looking for but here is a good article about how it works for baseball which is pobably pretty similar for softball

Invited Walk-On

Sep 17, 2009
It means when she shows up at practice they'll let her stay : >

If she's lucky and good, she can work her way to playing time and maybe even a partial or full scholarship. If she's a pitcher or catcher more likely she'll do those things to warm up the front line players.

Whether it's a good or "bad" thing depends on what the girls is hoping to get our of the team, college, life, etc.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Also a preferred walk on, is offered due to grades. If you prove you can cut it , like they have posted above then partial scholarship money is offered after your Freshman year.

Jul 9, 2010
I would ask the coach making the offer what it means. My DD had a similar offer, and basically she was told she would be treated the same as everyone else, amd would have the same opportunity to compete for playing time, and their goal was to find some in year 2.

Seemed a little too loose for her. This school was number 2 on her list, but the more she thought about it, the less she liked it.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Keep in mind school is # 1 Softball is #2, Softball is only a way and a means to get money. Your future will not be softball. We are looking at the preferred walk on , because it is the best school for what she wants after school. Many that play at D1's can take this method.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There are no guarantees with an invited walk on, but there is often a "wink and a nod". It is really difficult to evaluate an "invited walk on" situation. There are so many variables.

My DD#3 (the basketball player) was asked to walk on at a Big 10 school. She would have been red shirted. She ended up passing on this and another offer, and ended up playing D3. But, a kid more interested in basketball and playing Big 10 hoops would have jumped at the chance. E.g., if a player wanted to coach after college, the better choice would be to play Big 10 basketball, even if her playing time would have been limited in college. Just being around a Big 10 program is valuable for the right player.

Another player on my DD#1's D1 softball team was an invited walk on. She played very, very well her freshman year, and ended up with a 3 year full ride plus a 'chaser' after her eligibility expired. This player was very pleased with her decision.

As with all college sports, it all is about what the player wants now and in the future.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2011
Speaking as a university teacher who deals with scholarship issues (non-athletic but performance-based), I would regard any talk of future scholarship to be worth the paper it's printed on. It may happen, but if they're out of money this year there's at least an equal chance that after they're done competing for freshmen they'll be out of money next year, too. If everything else works out with the school it's perhaps not a deal-breaker, but for most institutions scholarship money is tight.

Sep 17, 2009
Howell is right...if they've already got you in-house (ie-recruited) why would they spend scholarship money on you versus using that money to recruit the NEXT player to campus.

Also, per SBFamily, if school is number one priority, then be careful with D1 (and especially D1 walk-on where you aren't even getting financial help). D1 softball schedules are grueling....but it all depends on the girl and what she's hoping to accomplish.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28