What do your HS players want out of softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
How many of you HS coaches talk to your players individually and listen to the reasons for playing softball for school? Not goals but reasons for playing. Sure those with talent may say that they want to play college softball. But what about the others? I think that understanding their motivation or lack thereof could help make me a better coach. Thoughts?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have this discussion with pretty much every player at some point in their career. In fact, I know which players on our current team want to play in college, which ones can play in college at the schools that they want and which ones will be disappointed due to various circumstances including true ability, financial support they will garner from GPA, class rank, ACT, ... This year, we have 3 seniors, each could have played at a significantly higher level than they are going to play in college. However, all 3 have earned entrance into a very special program where each will be fast-tracked into the nursing field and they all are more than happy with their choice to go where they are going. They are such great kids and will all do well in life. Keep in mind that I've posted here numerous times that both the HC and myself work really hard to find these players places to play. Apparently, that isn't the norm elsewhere. Finally, I have already had this discussion with several players on the middle school team. As crazy as it seems, some of them already know where they want to go.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I would hope that, regardless of goals, they are motivated because they like playing the game and want to do as well as possible. Many coaches, parents, and players in youth sports get so wrapped up with the idea of playing at that "next level" that they don't seem to enjoy the moment of where they are. In older age groups, it's common to find players who SAY that they want to play in college even when the ability is obviously lacking, but it seems rarer to find players who are more honest and admit that they play because they enjoy it. There seems to be some weird peer pressure to have college softball as the goal, even when it's not realistic for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2