What do you think of lefty catchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
The backup catcher on DD's team is a lefty. When she's in, I'm always praying for the other team to try bunting their way on. :-D

Bunts are tough for my right-handed catcher DD; the 3B almost always beats her to the play (which is good, since she has the best angle for the throw anyway). But the lefty catcher eats up bunts; the batter never has a chance.

Count me in as someone who thinks left-handed softball catchers are great. Just think of how big bunting is in softball and imagine that almost every bunt landing in that deadly bermuda triangle in front of the catcher is an automatic out...

Jun 11, 2013
My DD is backup catcher on 12U team. The only disadvantages is the throw to 3rd and tags, but it won't be an issue with experience. Not a ton of players steal third. Throw to 1st much easier and actually more important IMHO than to third. She is luck to have a good catcher ahead of her to learn from and needs more experience, but I see no huge disadvantage. As far as the question on LH pitchers, they are much sought after if you are any good.

Aug 24, 2011
Considering most batters are right-handed... is having a left-handed a disadvantage? What do you think?

Former Olympian and current UIC coach Michelle Venturella was a lefthanded catcher. Arguably the best catcher in the state of Illinois this spring is a lefthanded catcher.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
That lefty catcher can go from making a tag to throwing to 2nd base a whole lot faster then most right handers. Its just a training thing, the tag play is not much different once you get the foot work in order. My dd caught a game yesterday and on one play I heard someone say, she couldn't have made that play if she was a right hander.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
This is a thread I can sink my teeth in to! I got to meet Ms. Ventura earlier this year. She is a real cut up. And she knows catching. As for tag plays.... They don't have to turn their backs completely to the field of play as a right handed catcher does. So they can actually tag and come up throwing for the double play faster than righties... We made a video for Dave and Jay Weaver at NECC a while back on about lefties making the tag play.

[video=youtube_share;LCE8LE1aw4A]http://youtu.be/LCE8LE1aw4A[/video]

As noted, they have the advantage in bunt coverage for the same reason. They get the nod for pick offs to first as well. Throws to third through right handed batters require attention to footwork and being aware of the batter's position in the box. (Forward or back)

The 2 major disadvantages for a leftie catcher are;
1) Protecting their throwing had. They are much more likely to take a foul tip to their throwing hand facing right handed batters. They must stay disciplined in receiving pitches to protect their hand.
2) Coaches! Many male coaches played baseball at some time and there is a staunch belief that lefties can't catch and shouldn't be behind the plate. (Benny Distefano was the last ML left handed catcher to catch a game in 1989. Logan Schafer, a reserve outfielder on the Milwaukee Brewers roster, is the Brewers' emergency catcher for 2013) Trying to overcome the preconceived stigma some coaches have that lefties can't catch (No matter how good they are) is a major challenge for left handed catchers....

Having a left handed catcher for a daughter has helped us develop a lot of training specific to leftie catchers. We like leftie catchers so much that even our avatar is left handed!
-Chaz @ ACC

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is a thread I can sink my teeth in to! I got to meet Ms. Ventura earlier this year. She is a real cut up. And she knows catching. As for tag plays.... They don't have to turn their backs completely to the field of play as a right handed catcher does. So they can actually tag and come up throwing for the double play faster than righties... We made a video for Dave and Jay Weaver at NECC a while back on about lefties making the tag play.

[video=youtube_share;LCE8LE1aw4A]http://youtu.be/LCE8LE1aw4A[/video]

As noted, they have the advantage in bunt coverage for the same reason. They get the nod for pick offs to first as well. Throws to third through right handed batters require attention to footwork and being aware of the batter's position in the box. (Forward or back)

The 2 major disadvantages for a leftie catcher are;
1) Protecting their throwing had. They are much more likely to take a foul tip to their throwing hand facing right handed batters. They must stay disciplined in receiving pitches to protect their hand.
2) Coaches! Many male coaches played baseball at some time and there is a staunch belief that lefties can't catch and shouldn't be behind the plate. (Benny Distefano was the last ML left handed catcher to catch a game in 1989. Logan Schafer, a reserve outfielder on the Milwaukee Brewers roster, is the Brewers' emergency catcher for 2013) Trying to overcome the preconceived stigma some coaches have that lefties can't catch (No matter how good they are) is a major challenge for left handed catchers....

Having a left handed catcher for a daughter has helped us develop a lot of training specific to leftie catchers. We like leftie catchers so much that even our avatar is left handed!
-Chaz @ ACC

Chaz - what's your thinking re lefty's advantage on pick offs to first? Everything else makes sense and it wouldn't surprise me to see FP pave the way for more lefty BB catchers in the not too distant future (and Lefty Ball as a sequel to Money Ball)

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Chaz - what's your thinking re lefty's advantage on pick offs to first? Everything else makes sense and it wouldn't surprise me to see FP pave the way for more lefty BB catchers in the not too distant future (and Lefty Ball as a sequel to Money Ball)

I love the sound of Lefty Ball as a sequel to Money Ball! There are some very strong opinions about lefties in baseball playing on the larger fields... I don't think that type of thinking will be changed anytime soon.

As far as a left handed fastpitch catcher throwing to first..... The have the same advantage as the tag and throw play at home.They don't have to turn to line their shoulders up to their target at first. (RH batter) An inside or high pitch can be rocked back and thrown very quickly. (Catchers, know your batters) The biggest thing I see with catchers throwing pick offs is they hesitate. (RH or LH catcher) receive and throw! Know before the pitch is thrown that you intend to gun down the runner. Then make the throw with no hesitation. Worried about missing? PRACTICE! Set up a target (Buckets, net, little sis or dad) Have someone pitch to you and work your throws with no hesitation... (Sorry, I digressed) :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I love the sound of Lefty Ball as a sequel to Money Ball! There are some very strong opinions about lefties in baseball playing on the larger fields... I don't think that type of thinking will be changed anytime soon.

As far as a left handed fastpitch catcher throwing to first..... The have the same advantage as the tag and throw play at home.They don't have to turn to line their shoulders up to their target at first. (RH batter) An inside or high pitch can be rocked back and thrown very quickly. (Catchers, know your batters) The biggest thing I see with catchers throwing pick offs is they hesitate. (RH or LH catcher) receive and throw! Know before the pitch is thrown that you intend to gun down the runner. Then make the throw with no hesitation. Worried about missing? PRACTICE! Set up a target (Buckets, net, little sis or dad) Have someone pitch to you and work your throws with no hesitation... (Sorry, I digressed) :)

Thanks, I can't disagree! Continuing the digression, a scrimmage, friendly, or blow out game with lots of runners on should be considered a shooting gallery opportunity for catchers.

FWIW, to the lefty's "throwing hand protection" disadvantage, the bat during the swing and/or follow through (RH batters) in the runners on stance should be added to foul tips as a potential source of harm.

RJY

Mar 13, 2010
Something else to think about here....

The right pitch call for a RH catcher and a RH batter with a speedy runner on 1st is going to be a high outside fast ball still in the zone. This sets the catcher up for the throw reducing the time to seperation point. To do the same with a LH catcher and a RH batter means and high inside fast ball and the end result may be a little less desirable because we certainly don't want a HBP and 2 on. Add to this fact that there are more RH hitters than LH so the LH catcher is at a disadvantage most of the time. This is why you sometimes see a lefty at the No. 2 in a lineup behind that No. 1 slapper or speedster since most catchers are RH.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478