What do you say to your team after losing a hard fought......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
1.- A non-showcase tournament elimination game
2.- A non-showcase tournament pool play game
3.-A HS conference game

Please differentiate where necessary between 2 ages groups (U10-U12) & (U14-U18)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
"Good battle" works win or lose.

Every game there are individual accomplishments
and can be team accomplishments regardless of the score.

Every game speak to compliment and acknowledge learning moments.
Those that have been accomplished and those soon to be!

Feb 3, 2016
12u and up. Rarely did I need to hold a post loss or win team meeting. Everyone was there and witnessed what happened in the game. If I've done my job as a coach I don't need to rehash or beat a dead horse. Can't change the outcome now. Most the time I think some coaches just love to hear themselves talk and it's for them. The post game meetings for the most part isn't time well spent unless it's a mea culpa for a coaching error that cost a game. Just ask your players if they gain anything from these post game talks.

Might address something when warming up for another game or at the next team practice. I want players to get out of the Sun, get hydrated, eat, relax, go home and heal up. I want to use that extra time preparing for the next game or practice.

10u and under team meetings seem to have an effect. Be positive about things done well. Praise kids and efforts made.

Jul 22, 2015
Our post-game doesn't change much win or lose, and regardless where we are playing. Focus on where we had mental lapses, where we failed to execute a play that was called, situations we didn't handle correctly defensively, and adjustments we did or didn't make on offense. As they get older, probably have more focus on in-game adjustments and situational awareness (taking extra bases, looking for another play on defense). In my opinion this isn't the time to focus on individual errors or problems for each hitter; that's for practice.

Oct 14, 2016
We do an AAR after every game. Doesn't matter what age group.
AAR = After Action Review

We identify these categories: What went right? What went wrong? What do we need to do to make it better?

We start with the positives, talk about the things that didn't go well, and then we come up with a plan to make next game better.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
1.- A non-showcase tournament elimination game

Mention problem areas to be worked on in practice, but focus on the positives of the game and tournament. Don't send the team away more pissed off than they were immediately after the loss.

2.- A non-showcase tournament pool play game

If it's something that can be addressed and fixed for the next game, then get into it right there. Don't dwell on things that can't be fixed without a practice session, or are unfixable.

3.-A HS conference game

Talk about what a great season the team had. Call out the good things, and congratulate everyone. Say NOTHING negative.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
High School:

Great game! We took one step back today. Tomorrow, we'll start working on taking two steps forward. All true development is one step back and two steps forward.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28