What do you make of this comment from a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 7, 2018
My DD is a 2021 on a pretty well known competitive travel team and has some decent D1 interest from a few schools, but no offers yet. She went to a camp Sunday from a school that seemed to be pretty interested in her based on some previous camp interaction (he hasn't seen her play live yet though just camps and videos). So she was super excited to go to this camp bc he approached her and asked her to come and after the camp, he said that he liked her and was interested but he had to see her play this summer. Fair enough. but he also said let me know of I can help you with references for other schools? I take it as he is only mildly interested? Just curious on opinions. My poor DD works really hard and is getting frustrated and I'm not sure what we are doing wrong with the recruiting process.

Jul 3, 2013
My DD is a 2021 on a pretty well known competitive travel team and has some decent D1 interest from a few schools, but no offers yet. She went to a camp Sunday from a school that seemed to be pretty interested in her based on some previous camp interaction (he hasn't seen her play live yet though just camps and videos). So she was super excited to go to this camp bc he approached her and asked her to come and after the camp, he said that he liked her and was interested but he had to see her play this summer. Fair enough. but he also said let me know of I can help you with references for other schools? I take it as he is only mildly interested? Just curious on opinions. My poor DD works really hard and is getting frustrated and I'm not sure what we are doing wrong with the recruiting process.
May be a way of asking about other schools on her list and trying to gauge her level of interest.

This is a bit of a stretch, since I don't know anyone involved in this situation. But I think there are a lot of people out there that genuinely have concern for a players best interests. "Hey, if this doesn't work for you, let me know. Maybe I can make a call and help find something that does."

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Aug 7, 2018
May be a way of asking about other schools on her list and trying to gauge her level of interest.

This is a bit of a stretch, since I don't know anyone involved in this situation. But I think there are a lot of people out there that genuinely have concern for a players best interests. "Hey, if this doesn't work for you, let me know. Maybe I can make a call and help find something that does."

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response! That is a way to look at that I have not thought of it. We are just getting frustrated and she's doing well at camps and I think we were hoping to get some offers before the summer which seems unlikely now that college games are starting soon. :)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Coaches often refer players to other coaches especially if they like the kid but don't really have a need for that kid. Rather than sit them better to call a friend who has a need. You'll see the coaches that like each other hanging out together at showcases and camps like Riseball

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The immediate response should have been , "Coach,what other schools? "
Hard for a teenager to come up with that in real time but I might send him an email recalling the conversation and ask?

May 27, 2013
I would imagine before an offer is made they’d really like to see her play live - so hopefully over this summer she’ll be on their short-list and they will still have a void to fill.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My Background: DD#1 was an all-conference D1 pitcher. DD#3 was an all-conference, D3 basketball player and won a national championship. DD#3 was recruited. So, I've been through the recruiting circus twice.

The coach is saying, "Your DD is a good, but not great, player. I'm looking at players better than your DD. If I can't sign one of them, then I might sign your DD. But, don't hold your breath."

My poor DD works really hard and is getting frustrated and I'm not sure what we are doing wrong with the recruiting process.

Softball, or any college sport, is a lot of fun. Ultimately, it is a little game that kids play. There is no pot of gold at the end of the softball rainbow. In a few years, softball will be over and your DD will be on to a career, significant others, and "the rest of her life".

SO: Wag the dog. You and your DD should control the process. Don't let the college coaches control you.

Sit down with your DD and find the schools that offer the degree she wants and that fits her personality. Pick some D1, D2 and D3 schools. Visit the schools, and narrow down the list.

When you've got the list narrowed down to 3 or so, get serious. Talk to the coaches and decide which one fits with her academic desires and softball. Get specifics on financial aide, and make a decision. Find a coach who wants your DD and a college your DD likes.

The best resource for softball recruiting is a book by Cathy Aradi called, "Preparing to Play Softball at the Collegiate Level ". I know Cathy. She is the real deal.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018
I'm curious what makes you think you're doing something wrong.
I just feel like maybe we didn't do enough last year when she was a sophomore to get her more exposure to more schools. I wish I could do it over and get her more exposure so that more coaches came to watch her last summer if that makes sense. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog