What do you have? Infield fly ... and?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Infield fly, batters out. Runners are live until the batter/runner interferes with the 1B making a play on the ball. Ball is dead at that point and runners would return but it was out 3. Ballgame! Only question is was it interference by batter/runner? No contact was made and runner tried to avoid infielder. In my judgment I got interference on batter/runner. Also, question whether the batter/runner being allowed to continue running after obvious infield fly call. Could be considered some type of delay of game. I’m not an umpire lol

Jun 22, 2008
I've got nothing but an infield fly. In my opinion that was a pretty weak interference call, f3 staring up at the ball most likely never even saw the batter runner and they never even touched. Not that contact is required, I just think f3 misplayed the ball.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ugh... Had to think about this one a few times. And I changed my mind once.

I agree with Comp - I am not sure that is interference. But that is probably immaterial because the crew has decided that it is.

Since the field umpire has called interference, he has called interference on a retired runner. If that is the case, the ball is dead RIGHT then (5-1-1-e/8-6-16-c) and according to the dead ball chart the runner closest to home is out.

However 8-6-16 and 8-6-16-c also mentions interfering with the chance to make a defensive play . The girl at third really doesn't break for home until the ball hits the ground - so at the time the ball hits the ground, it is dead so there really isn't a defensive play to be made. None of the runners are forced and if she had just caught the ball, the runner would have just stayed where she was.

I am not sure I have found a rule that allows me to place the runners back on the base they were originally on. The same rule 5-1-1e list the penalty for a runner as returning the runners to their original base (8-6-10). But the batter-runner is already retired by the called infield fly.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019
Agreed. Lame interference call.

But, now that we have that straightened out, no one's going to tell us who won? That's a big part of that whole story. That interference call allowed the other team an opportunity to turn a loss into a win. Did they take advantage of that opportunity, or did the offending team overcome that tough call and win it anyway?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I've got nothing but an infield fly. In my opinion that was a pretty weak interference call, f3 staring up at the ball most likely never even saw the batter runner and they never even touched. Not that contact is required, I just think f3 misplayed the ball.

Agree.. The BR did exactly what she was supposed to do And still avoided the defender who stepped in front of her

Jul 28, 2019
Agreed. Lame interference call.

But, now that we have that straightened out, no one's going to tell us who won? That's a big part of that whole story. That interference call allowed the other team an opportunity to turn a loss into a win. Did they take advantage of that opportunity, or did the offending team overcome that tough call and win it anyway?
I believe the fielding team won 8-6.

Spanish Fork vs. Bear River
Game Details - Softball
Spanish Fork
Bear River
Saturday, May. 18, 2019 | | 4A winners bracket | Played @ Spanish Fork Sports Park
Final 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 R H E
Spanish Fork 2 2 0 1 0 0 1 2 8 10 4
Bear River 0 3 1 0 0 0 2 0 6 8 4

May 29, 2015
Ugh... Had to think about this one a few times. And I changed my mind once.

I agree with Comp - I am not sure that is interference. But that is probably immaterial because the crew has decided that it is.

Since the field umpire has called interference, he has called interference on a retired runner. If that is the case, the ball is dead RIGHT then (5-1-1-e/8-6-16-c) and according to the dead ball chart the runner closest to home is out.

However 8-6-16 and 8-6-16-c also mentions interfering with the chance to make a defensive play . The girl at third really doesn't break for home until the ball hits the ground - so at the time the ball hits the ground, it is dead so there really isn't a defensive play to be made. None of the runners are forced and if she had just caught the ball, the runner would have just stayed where she was.

I am not sure I have found a rule that allows me to place the runners back on the base they were originally on. The same rule 5-1-1e list the penalty for a runner as returning the runners to their original base (8-6-10). But the batter-runner is already retired by the called infield fly.

I agree with you guys that the interference call is pretty weak at face value ... however (you guys ought to know by now that I am going to make some long-winded theoretical argument!) ...

The offensive player in question is not a batter runner with a right to run to first base or any right to be where she is during F3’s attempt to catch the ball. She is a retired (batter) runner who has no reason or right to be where she is. Failing to vacate the area is enough for an interference call.

NFHS 8-6-16 reads:
ART. 16 . . . Any coach or member of the offensive team, other than a runner, interferes with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play. This includes, but is not limited to:

Digest that section before you move on ... ANY member of the offensive team, other than a runner ... opportunity to MAKE A PLAY ...

8-6-16 goes on to provide examples ... remember the rule reads “This includes, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO” ... the reason I emphasize that is because (c) mentions a play on another runner. That causes some confusion ... but remember the subsections a, b, c and d are just examples, not a requirement. The requirements are in 8-6-16. The play does not have to be on another runner.

If you make that interference call, then you have to assess a penalty. The penalty is prescribed and very specific:

PENALTY: (Art. 16) The ball is dead and the runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference shall be declared out. Each other runner must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

It does not matter where — or even if — there was another play. The runner closest to home is out.

Jun 22, 2008
It is not an infield fly until the ball is fair, and at the beginning of that play the defensive player starts out well in foul ground and the ball is presumably also over foul ground. So no, the batter runner is not already out and does have the right to attempt to run to first base. Until the ball is established as fair this is not an infield fly situation. And no, just being there is not in itself enough to be interference, they must actually do something to interfere. I see no hinderance of the fielder in attempting to make the play, she simply misplayed the ball.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802