What do I Mean

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Looks like a similar problem to the one I'm about to address....so I wont give away the answer....if I'm wrong...I'll have to put my dunce cap on and go back to the drawing board..... lol

Big difference between going back to the drawing board and putting the final touches on a masterpiece........

Don't sell yourself short..........:cool:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
it's been a while since you had one of your quizzes...fun stuff..

She's restarting. If she can adjust so the I/R is occurring later then it will be an adder. This will help her posture because in order to get the right release angle with her I/R occurring at the right time, she will have to stay tall or the ball will go into the ground. Right now her I/R is maxing out by about 7 o clock she needs that to max out at 6 . She is kind of turning into more of a bowling motion just for the delivery frame and using a lot of shoulder.

Just in general she needs that upper arm to get out of the release, instead of guiding the ball it needs to take a back seat and just chill out next to the rib cage for a second and let the forearm take the wheel for a bit, then it can follow the forearm home once the ball is gone.

Jul 14, 2008
Sure does...DD does get the proper spin, but as you pointed out...it is too far forward. Now given the fact that she is going to take a break for 3-4 weeks starting in the second week in December....would you, based on your experience work on that now....or try and catch it on her return from break?

Take the break...........

PS. She was flattered when I showed her your response.....and then replied "geeezzzz....how fast do you guys want me to throw the ball?" ;) "Faster.....always faster....."

My response was a well deserved one.........She's awesome.........I can just tell.........

Jul 14, 2008
it's been a while since you had one of your quizzes...fun stuff..

She's restarting. If she can adjust so the I/R is occurring later (You mean EARLIER???) then it will be an adder. This will help her posture because in order to get the right release angle with her I/R occurring at the right time, she will have to stay tall or the ball will go into the ground. Right now her I/R is maxing out by about 7 o clock she needs that to max out at 6 . She is kind of turning into more of a bowling motion just for the delivery frame and using a lot of shoulder.

If you mean earlier then you get an A........

Just in general she needs that upper arm to get out of the release, instead of guiding the ball it needs to take a back seat and just chill out next to the rib cage for a second and let the forearm take the wheel for a bit, then it can follow the forearm home once the ball is gone.

The forearm/wrist/fingers should TAKE THE ENERGY from the bicep........Yes..........Then the bicep WILL "hang out" because that tank has been emptied into the forearm............

Jul 17, 2012
If you mean earlier then you get an A........

The forearm/wrist/fingers should TAKE THE ENERGY from the bicep........Yes..........Then the bicep WILL "hang out" because that tank has been emptied into the forearm............

So then she is releasing out front? My thoughts were that shes got the rotation down as far as the when she initiates it...but isn't finishing in sequence and getting rid of the ball, but rather carrying it forward...which brings the entire upper body with it. It looks like she's good right up until she rolls over the ball at 6:00 instead of letting it fly.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
My DD is coming along well, but she can't get a 4 seam FB to "feel" comfortable because of her small (tiny) hands. She throws a 2 seam so her fingers lay on the seam for control.

Any thoughts beside to grow more? :)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
My DD is coming along well, but she can't get a 4 seam FB to "feel" comfortable because of her small (tiny) hands. She throws a 2 seam so her fingers lay on the seam for control.

Any thoughts beside to grow more? :)

I assume very young? If so...throw whats comfortable....I don't think that will matter much...just tape the ball the right way...lol.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I can't claim the A then. It looks to me like her I/R is completed just before release and then she straight arms, When I say later I mean that the I/R needs to still be in effect through release. I do think that the release needs to be a little earlier. It's a synch problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45