What coach or organization are you thankful for?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
Maybe it was a coach who refused to accept anything less than her best?
1000% agree with you. My DD has played for the same team/coach since she was 10. This is the text I sent him earlier this fall when she verbally committed.

This milestone is the result of an incredible amount of hard work but that hard work was built upon the foundation you instilled in her and all of her teammates. So from the bottom of my heart thank you. Thank you for never accepting less than perfection, thank you for holding her accountable, thank you you for demanding constant improvement, thank you for not coddling her, and most of all thank you for always looking out for her best interest. You should be incredibly proud of the amazing group of young women you helped mold. Their accomplishments are your accomplishments.

Happy Thanksgiving!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A teacher, Mr Garcia, in elementary school who said to me,
"They are starting to give women athletic scholarships to play sports in college.
You are good in sports. If you keep working at it you could get one."

Coach Joe Grubbs of the Orange County Bat Busters who provided positive yet firm guidance and a team environment that included being able to laugh while we were working hard on the field!

College Coach Pete Manarino who would always say
"Look at the big picture"
And put together a team who on a low budget, competed and beat big name, big budget programs.

Thank You Softball 👍

May 27, 2013
For dd, it was one of her pitching coaches. He always believed in her and taught her the mental side of the game. She is perhaps the most laid back kid in the circle. She doesn’t let things rattle her. He gave her the confidence to believe in herself from a young age.

For me it was my parents. Them telling me I’d never be able to accomplish the things that I’ve done over the years was my greatest motivator. Sometimes the lack of support and doubt can be the kick in the a•• that you need to succeed in life.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
8U Rec Asst Coach...Coach Darnell's DD was (still is) a softball beast. This was my DD's first time playing the game, and she wanted to play like Coach Darnell's DD. He gave my DD and I lots of guidance that set my DD on the path she is still on. He and I continue to be good friends.

10U-12U TB Head Coach...Coach JD is one of the best coaches for developing young players that I have seen. She was demanding, but not demeaning. Tough, but fair. The girls loved playing for her, and they worked their butts off. I started out as a helpful parent, and grew to be her main AC. I learned a ton. My DD has made comments many times about how important her time with Coach JD was in her journey.

14U TB Head Coach...Coach Mike (former college catcher and HS baseball coach) took a group of good players and developed them into a PGF Premier-level team. He was an excellent teacher, with a calm but focused personality, and was still skilled enough to execute the things he was teaching at a level slightly above the players. It was pretty common to see him join in the rotation on IF drills to demonstrate. If he decided to start coaching again, my DD would leave her current team in a heartbeat to play for Coach Mike again.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Funny, I just received an email from DD's current organization. Part of the email stated "With all the choices in our area to play travel softball, we are forever grateful you selected us." So, we're pretty grateful for our new choice after moving to this year.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD has had several very supportive coaches over the years. But I would have to say it all started with the head of the first organization she played for. While he coached the team one level up from hers, he was always checking on her progress. Whenever his team was short a player, he would often ask her to guest for him. She learned a lot from him and his players.

This coach also ran the showcase team for this org. At DD's very first showcase, she was pitching and he was calling the pitches. She had a 3-2 count on a hitter and there were two college coaches standing behind the back stop. He called a pitch. She shook him off. He called the same pitch again. She shook him off again. He turned to the college coaches, shrugged his shoulders, and then called a different pitch. She threw it and struck the hitter out. After the game he informed us that he did this on purpose. He knew that DD didn't want to throw that pitch in that situation, and he wanted to see how she handled it. She passed the test. The college coaches asked to speak with her after the game. She chose a different school, but the experience was invaluable to her development. While she had the goal of playing in college, it wasn't until those college coaches started talking to her that she truly believe it could happen.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
It was the HS JV coach who saw me coaching my DD's park and rec team back in 2000. He came over to watch us doing some rudimentary drills and at the end of practice introduced himself. He became my mentor. The guy literally had a logical reply to every question I had. In 2010 he asked me if I could join him on the HS staff. Courtesy of my boss who let me work early hours I was able to join the staff. I was just a sponge and learned more and more every day from a group who had won a state title, 4 state appearances, numerous sectional titles and conference titles.

Sadly he passed away in 2015 and I miss his wit and knowledge. Then the HC of the V died in 2016 from leukemia. I miss his leadership. They named the V softball field in his honor.

When the season begins each spring I make sure to mention their names to the incoming players as those who brought us to excellence.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was ready to quit SB for various reasons. Her MS coaches, Bolingbrook Brooks MS, gave her a new will to play SB.

She was iffy about trying out for team because she was told she had no chance to make it. We kind of made her tryout.

She obviously made the Team and all her coaches were great for all 3 years.

Sep 8, 2015
Coach Williams. CFL.

She brought the joy back into softball for my kid. Last Coach was a great coach in all aspects of the game, but took the fun out of the game for my kid.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478