What Causes the Hips to Rotate in a HL Swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, ideally the bat should be accelerated to 100% speed before contact. But I don't think the bat slows before contact, just the rate of acceleration. We should aim to get the bat to top speed before contact.
The acceleration of the bat isn't what transfers the energy, only the speed and the mass.
Right so if the leg extends at or near the point where the bat decelerates how can that action be powering (e.g. the main force producer) the swing...

Jul 29, 2013
KempQuackery.gif

CabreraQuackery.gif

Are you a Yeager follower?
No, not a Yeager follower. But how's this, let that front leg stay bent or collapse and see how much power you generate.
Then, push hard on it..... TRY IT!!!
Also, watch how much the batting cage guy's rear hip moves forward when the MLB batters rear hip almost stays put while the front hip moves rearward. Who's generating more power?

Jun 8, 2016
No, not a Yeager follower. But how's this, let that front leg stay bent or collapse and see how much power you generate.
Then, push hard on it..... TRY IT!!!
Also, watch how much the batting cage guy's rear hip moves forward when the MLB batters rear hip almost stays put while the front hip moves rearward. Who's generating more power?

Jul 29, 2013
Right so if the leg extends at or near the point where the bat decelerates how can that action be powering (e.g. the main force producer) the swing...
Extending.... and pushing the front hip rearward. May not be fully extended with the knee fully straightened.

Jul 29, 2013
I didn't say the bat decelerates before the point of contact, you did. Acceleration is the change in velocity. Just look at the videos and see where the greatest change in velocity occurs. I say it coincides with the extension of the front leg.
When top speed is approached, acceleration slow. Actually, the greatest acceleration happens when the bat is first moved in a direction from a standstill. Acceleration then slows more and more as top speed is approached.

Sep 17, 2009
I have a problem with your saying the front leg straightening is a reaction. I say it is THE action. Everything that happens prior to the front leg straightening is for nought if that doesn't happen. In fact, rather than spend so much time focused on the rear leg, you'll find that more focus on the front leg will result in more powerful swings.
Bobby S. just can't agree with you. The lead leg does its work well after most of the important stuff happens in my book, after launch. I like to think about the force generation in the swing as a slingshot created by the coil/stretch that is snapped forward at barrel launch, not a barrel release accelerated forward by the car slamming on the brakes (ie, the front leg).

Jul 29, 2013
Bobby S. just can't agree with you. The lead leg does its work well after most of the important stuff happens in my book, after launch. I like to think about the force generation in the swing as a slingshot created by the coil/stretch that is snapped forward at barrel launch, not a barrel release accelerated forward by the car slamming on the brakes (ie, the front leg).
Not slamming on the brakes. Pushing the front of the pelvis rearward creating a more violent turn. TRY IT!!!!

May 12, 2016
Still DD's hips do not rotate completely. I do see hitters however whose hips do not complete the rotation, but my DD is a little thing and she needs all the power she can generate and leave nothing on the table. I still think her hips slide a little too much and her front leg being too rigid blocking the complete rotation

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I don't understand. The rear hip snaps and violently straightens the front leg?

Let me reword what I was trying to say. The leverage created off the back foot creates a force that creates hips popping/snap as the front foot plants or the front leg extends. If my body is creating leverage off the book foot, then when my front foot plants the force created through the leverage off the backside snaps the hips against the front leg and straightens the front leg. The hips snap/pop against the front leg, front hip turns rearward.

Correct backside creates correct front side. Personally I struggled with a poor front side for years because of thinking the front side did most of the work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28