What causes excessive backspin?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
No, because she initiates her hands, from a launch position in sequence. Look at where her hands are starting from

So when coaches tell kids to keep their hands up, that doesn't mean keep it up throughout the swing? Only up at the point of launch position?

Aug 20, 2017
Maintain posture/tilt and get her to feel this.

Work on sequence daily!

Your DD has obvious flaws. No one drill cures everything. Work on fixing one specific thing at a time while also reinforcing swing from the ground up

Oct 2, 2017
So when coaches tell kids to keep their hands up, that doesn't mean keep it up throughout the swing? Only up at the point of launch position?

I believe that when you hear that que, most are thinking of the stay on top of the ball, don't dump the barrel etc. I on the other hand would agree, that keep you hands up would be all the way to launch.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One thing I've noticed on a lot of my DD's balls after contact is there is some major backspin going on. I'm not talking about pop ups, these are balls that are barely making it past the pitchers mound. Weakly hit balls without solid contact at all.

My DD doesn't have an uppercut swing, quite the contrary.. She's usually swinging flat to down 80% of the time.

I would think too much upward motion would cause the backspin normally no?

Two causes of backspin: 1) Barrel contacting the ball below center, 2) Downward barrel path through contact.

An uppercut swing will get you a pop-up if you miss low, a top-spin grounder if you miss high, and a fly ball if you square it up.

Jun 8, 2016
Low tee drills have their use. You just have to be careful that the player doesn't just lower their body to try and get to the ball instead of getting their rear shoulder to work down and front shoulder to work up, e.g. "tilting". If they just lower their body the result will be grounders and low line drives off the tee. I wouldn't use a tee set that low though for younger players, something at their knee or maybe slightly below would be sufficient.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood