What causes excessive backspin?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Watched video in above thread. She is definitely too wide at swing launch like others said. Looks like she is a pitcher by the way she strides. Ive had a tough time getting young pitchers to not stride like they are pitching when they are hitting lol!

Her posture is bad due to the width of the stride imo. She has no tilt (amount varies on pitch location). During the stride the butt needs to work back and chest work over the plate some. This posture needs to be maintained throughtout the swing (stay down in legs) and this will get her to work more from under/behind the ball. When the swing is powered by the arms/shoulders, you lose posture and chest comes up creating more shoulder rotation, less tilt and running out of barrel

Jun 8, 2016
Don't you wish it happened that quickly and easy.
TBH I am not sure. Sometimes definitely, but as much as I bit*&, the journey (good and bad parts) is probably what I will remember with all my kids and if they had a perfect swing at 9 I am not sure that would be as fulfilling.

May 9, 2019
Swing plane and contact point are out of whack. Fix swing plane first.

Low tee, work on tilting torso and maintaining tilt throughtout swing, hit balls in top of a net. The plane of the barrel will closely match the tilt of the shoulders.

All of the above is assuming she is swinging in sequence which, if she has a downward swing plane, she is mostly likely out of sequence (swinging from the the top down)

The reason I prefer not to do low tee work is she already has a downward swing. I been doing more high tee for this reason. Is that not the right drill to have her swing with an upward plane?

May 9, 2019
Watched video in above thread. She is definitely too wide at swing launch like others said. Looks like she is a pitcher by the way she strides. Ive had a tough time getting young pitchers to not stride like they are pitching when they are hitting lol!

Her posture is bad due to the width of the stride imo. She has no tilt (amount varies on pitch location). During the stride the butt needs to work back and chest work over the plate some. This posture needs to be maintained throughtout the swing (stay down in legs) and this will get her to work more from under/behind the ball. When the swing is powered by the arms/shoulders, you lose posture and chest comes up creating more shoulder rotation, less tilt and running out of barrel

Yes she is a pitcher! You are good! lol

I'm actually going to have her take a break from pitching as that is really all she's good at right now.. Her hitting is her main weakness.

As far as her wide stance goes, I'm switching her to a no stride swing to try to circumvent that problem. It hasn't really help too much and her backspin issue still persists. I am having her try to get lower as you said though.. butt out, more bend in the back knee...

Oct 2, 2017
Honestly it's about the same...

Ok, sometimes its just because of Game time pressure. That being said, any changes you make, Make them slowly. Each Girl has a certain characteristics you have to work with. To me she looks more of a tight body hitter. Meaning she is more stiff in her movements. Especially in the hip, and legs. My daughter on the other hand is more loose with her movement. So I have to cater to that and work with it. Have her do a stance that is more conducive to her movement and body type. I have to encourage her to not be so loose. So find a stance your DD feels comfortable with her stride/load. I would try and encourage her also to try and be more loose.

Jun 8, 2016
The reason I prefer not to do low tee work is she already has a downward swing. I been doing more high tee for this reason. Is that not the right drill to have her swing with an upward plane?
If the goal of hitting the ball into the upper part of the net is given for low tee work, the hitter will have to use the correct body positioning, and the resulting swing plane, to do so. That said, my DD does fine with that off the tee and slow front toss but once the game speeds up she isn't able to replicate it.

Aug 20, 2017
On low tee:
Tell her to work from behind and under the ball and hit it in the air. You’ve got to watch her and make sure she getting on plane behind the ball. High tee has probably caused her shoulders to rotate instead of tilt and posture to stay tall. Don’t coach her on swing too much on low tee. Tell her to hit it above a pitchers head. Do it a bunch until she can easily

High tee for excessive tilt, low tee for zero tilt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802