What causes excessive backspin?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
One thing I've noticed on a lot of my DD's balls after contact is there is some major backspin going on. I'm not talking about pop ups, these are balls that are barely making it past the pitchers mound. Weakly hit balls without solid contact at all.

My DD doesn't have an uppercut swing, quite the contrary.. She's usually swinging flat to down 80% of the time.

I would think too much upward motion would cause the backspin normally no?

Jun 8, 2016
Not squaring the ball up...

Forget about the results right now. You were given some good advice in the other thread. Work with those one at a time and it will come if she puts the work in.

Aug 20, 2017
Swing plane and contact point are out of whack. Fix swing plane first.

Low tee, work on tilting torso and maintaining tilt throughtout swing, hit balls in top of a net. The plane of the barrel will closely match the tilt of the shoulders.

All of the above is assuming she is swinging in sequence which, if she has a downward swing plane, she is mostly likely out of sequence (swinging from the the top down)

Aug 20, 2017
She is probably running out of barrel due to not tilting torso or not maintaining tilt throughout swing

Jun 8, 2016
Without video those are just guesses.

Oct 2, 2017

Yeah I remember that post, I don't know if she has improved since. My statement was directly to what cornbread stated as not tilting etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom