What ball to use for indoor practice at home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
I have not been able to find anywhere local that my daughter can pitch inside over the winter which is quickly approaching here. The only place inside I have is my living room and dining room...
I would like her to be able to practice form at least enough to not go backwards over the winter. No way am I letting a 9 year old throw a softball in the living room hahahaha. Whiffle balls? Balled up sock? What else ya got?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Where perfect circle when you need him?

I set up a tarp in basement, maybe 20'? Same could be done in any room. Used real SBs. I am Ok with softie balls but they will cause as much damage as real ones.

If DD can not hit a trap from 20ish away we would need to look for a different activity for her.

Nov 18, 2015
I wouldn’t dismiss the idea of balled up socks.

And agree that at 9YO, even the ceiling isn’t safe, so real softballs are out if doing a full motion.

Is throwing into a pop up net a possibility? You could do most of the beginner drills with a real ball (lock it in, liberty drill, etc.). And the net could be packed away when not in use.

I don’t think a whiffle would give you the feedback needed when throwing. I have the tcb hole balls (and the boombah version, which are too small). While smaller than a 10” ball, the tcb balls weigh just enough to help me be accurate doing soft toss - I imagine they’d be sufficient for a 9YO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
I have several forms of soft balls, all with raised seams. Also, consider pitching from your garage. Warmer and dry, and you can put the bownet outside the garage.

Amazon product ASIN B00MEK4PO6

Apr 24, 2014
I would second the idea of a Balled up sock. My kid used it. She only broke a light switch with it.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
When DD used to pitch, we would go in our finished basement and use a Jugs Lite-Flite softball. The were pretty close to the same weight and soft enough to avoid any damage except the rain of dust when she'd hit the drop ceiling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802