What are your favorite drills for tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
I don’t know about drills, but make them run a bit to track pop ups. I’ve seen that be a real definer in their overall attitude and game awareness. Are they quick? Do they run hard after a miss? A lot of tryouts just hit right to them, and all you learn from that Is if they can squeeze it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Not sure what age group but catching on the run can shed a lot of light on athleticism and coordination. Think 15 yard pass over the middle going right to left and then left to right. You will be surprised how many girls will have a hard time.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
14u.

We have a solid workout planned (similar to previous years), but I wanted to spice it up a little. Currently we will:

Warm-up (I think a lot can be learned from this).
Timed runs (H-1, H-H).
Infield drills (different types of plays from SS).
Positional/Situational.
Outfield (Drop steps, throwing, etc).
Hitting/Bunting (a little tee work, a lot of front toss).

Our biggest thing this season is looking for high effort girls, so I want to focus on drills that will help evaluate that.

May 1, 2018
14u.

We have a solid workout planned (similar to previous years), but I wanted to spice it up a little. Currently we will:

Warm-up (I think a lot can be learned from this).
Timed runs (H-1, H-H).
Infield drills (different types of plays from SS).
Positional/Situational.
Outfield (Drop steps, throwing, etc).
Hitting/Bunting (a little tee work, a lot of front toss).

Our biggest thing this season is looking for high effort girls, so I want to focus on drills that will help evaluate that.
James we are doing similar, but adding in H-2 with a slide, and H-2 pop slide and hook slide into 3rd.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
James we are doing similar, but adding in H-2 with a slide, and H-2 pop slide and hook slide into 3rd.
That will be very interesting. I like it. What percentage of the players will be able to confidently do it on the first try? I can't stand players that don't slide or don't know how to slide. Hope nobody gets hurt. Nothing worse than the indecisive late slide.

May 1, 2018
That will be very interesting. I like it. What percentage of the players will be able to confidently do it on the first try? I can't stand players that don't slide or don't know how to slide. Hope nobody gets hurt. Nothing worse than the indecisive late slide.
Yeah I'm very big on sliding properly, if a girl needs to make a small adjustment to her slide that is coachable. If it's just terrible that might be something that takes her out of the running for the team, unless she has other skills.
But at the age and level that myself and James coach at, proper slide should be developed.

Feb 5, 2019
We just had four private tryouts today. My favorites are all mental. I like asking them what position they don't like to play. Then I ask them, 'If you're a center fielder and the batter bunts the ball what do you do?' Then we do all the other basics stuff everyone does i.e. throw, catch, hit, run

11u right now.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It's pretty simple. What are you looking for the players to do instinctively? And then can you teach? The 3 B's! Ball, Base and then Back up. Play the ball. If you aren't playing the ball are you covering a base? If your duty is not to cover a base are you backing up the play? As the players get older, watch for natural instincts. That will set them apart from the rest of the players. If they cant' do that, then you teach them. As a coach, if you can't coach that, then you need to tryout for another team. And I am serious...this is the basics.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Then I ask them, 'If you're a center fielder and the batter bunts the ball what do you do?'

Then we do all the other basics stuff everyone does i.e. throw, catch, hit, run

11u right now.
Whats the answer your looking for?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28