What are we missing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
First off, thanks to everyone on this forum. I posted a couple of years ago asking for help and many people were gracious enough to help us out.

Today, I need some help again. For the past few months my 14y/o has been dealing with missing to the right, doesn't matter which pitch. If she misses, mostly it's to the right. We've been trying to correct it by having her follow her power line more and not step out and open up too soon. I also thought maybe she was pulling back towards 1b on her upswing, causing her arm circle to get offline. Now since we've come back from the holiday break, she's been hitting her hip enough that it's causing a red mark on her upper forearm and causing her pain. I've read through the threads on hitting the hip and we've tried things that some have suggested but they haven't worked. I'm kind of at a loss right now. Any help or insight anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I've included some video below. Thanks.

Jan 28, 2017
IMO

1. swing back goes behind her (towards 1st)
2. When coming forward the ball is to far away from the hip
3. Ball goes over her head
This causes her to bang her arm instead of brush.
4. Leading with the pinky, which is great but fingers are staying under the ball and not getting behind it. Thumb pointed a little towards second. Kinda like a rise/screw ball.

Mar 28, 2014
Not an expert but in Tyler -1 the reason the ball goes right is because she is closing her shoulder too soon. I can see part of the left number on the back of her shirt at release but I should only be seeing the number on the right. Needs to keep that right shoulder quiet.

Jul 31, 2015
FWIW - please, I am not an expert - it looks to me like she is stuck between styles. As if she initially learned HE and then switched to IR.

Her setup, drive and timing look quite good but because she releases the ball with her butt out and to the left (HE) that causes her arm, and the ball, to go right, acting as a counterbalance to the leftside weight shift. My DD did the exact same thing with the exact same result and it wasn't until she fully undid her monkey butt training that it corrected.

Don't agree that she's closing her shoulder too soon. Keeping her shoulder open longer will make her more of an HE pitcher.

Tyler could also use better frontside resistance. In fact it may be easier to start correcting that and work backward.
Look at how the other pitcher finishes in video #3. She's got great reverse posture / frontside resistance.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
Missing brush. Allowing her arm to clear. When girls miss brush it's either they pull their core away from their arm or pull arm away from core. Looks to me like she is pulling her core away.

Apr 12, 2015
One of the first and easiest questions that should always be asked around this age....Has she grown recently?

Mar 28, 2014
Don't agree that she's closing her shoulder too soon. Keeping her shoulder open longer will make her more of an HE pitcher.
this is confusing me, maybe we are using different definitions of closed vs open? When I say closing her shoulder I relate it to the catchers viewpoint and her shoulder is like a door so as it is rotated towards the catcher, she is closing it. Is that how you define it?

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
One of the first and easiest questions that should always be asked around this age....Has she grown recently?

Not that I noticed, but I do see her everyday lol.

The thought that maybe her hips got bigger could be one of the causes, but I wasn't totally convinced.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
Missing brush. Allowing her arm to clear. When girls miss brush it's either they pull their core away from their arm or pull arm away from core. Looks to me like she is pulling her core away.

Not sure I follow. Lately the inside of her upper forearm gets red and painful as if she's getting too much brush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28