What age to start throwing from knees?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
WHAT? .93 is SLOW.. Look, my DD is 13yo in this video from 8 months ago. It is just a routine throw down. She doesn't cheat too much and from pop to release is .765sec.

Your post compaired to this post.
Its fun when compairisons show up.

Jun 26, 2020
Dont expect more out of person like 625error pushing their personal agenda. Other than more of their agenda. Its not about whats really happening in the game for them.
Golly gee I hope your are wrong. My girls decided to give up labor day weekend and fly across the country to work with this clown. Hopefully he has a money back guarantee

May 23, 2015
Your post compaired to this post.
Its fun when compairisons show up.
I compared nothing. Time is time. I was explaining the difference between clocking game time and play time. He said his daughter was a .76 exchange time. Thats probably in the top half of MLB players.

I didnt even compare your 90mph baseball throw claim. To my knowledge thats faster than any catcher in MLB history

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I compared nothing. Time is time. I was explaining the difference between clocking game time and play time. He said his daughter was a .76 exchange time. Thats probably in the top half of MLB players.

I didnt even compare your 90mph baseball throw claim. To my knowledge thats faster than any catcher in MLB history
😀
Seriously
Two players #'s, two posts.
Put side by side= comparison.

As for comment on throwing speeds was simly making a point baseballs & softballs are thrown different speeds.

Everyones contributions to thread have been interesting and funny ;)
Have a great day !

May 24, 2013
So Cal

In the video of Maddie I posted on page 10 (field throws), with the exception of the knee throw to 3B (slow due to pitch location) all of the others had a .7-.8 exchange time (catch-transfer-release). Yes, she was cheating a little on most of them, but she also wasn't working at full speed. Looking at other video I have, I'm seeing a similar .7-.8 range pretty frequently. Maddie is pretty good, but not exceptional for catchers of her age, in our area.

2019 had 26 catchers with exchange times of .70 or less.

Using the same data source, it looks like there has been just one MLB catcher in the last 5 years to throw over 90mph to 2B (Alfaro).

Last edited:
May 23, 2015
In the video of Maddie I posted on page 10 (field throws), with the exception of the knee throw to 3B (slow due to pitch location) all of the others had a .7-.8 exchange time (catch-transfer-release). Yes, she was cheating a little on most of them, but she also wasn't working at full speed. Looking at other video I have, I'm seeing a similar .7-.8 range pretty frequently. Maddie is pretty good, but not exceptional for catchers of her age, in our area.

2019 had 26 catchers with exchange times of .70 or less.
Never seen that before. Thats a good reference for the people that want to truly understand numbers and how they relate. There's also 53 north of .7. One as high as a .83 avg. I only speak about what I've personally witnessed. Ive seen a lot. Thats it.

Your daughter looks great. Thats been discussed. Cant comment on her numbers . How does she improve in your opinion? Not a trap just a question. What speeds her up?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Your daughter looks great. Thats been discussed. Cant comment on her numbers . How does she improve in your opinion? Not a trap just a question. What speeds her up?

From her feet - Quicker feet, and a more efficient hand path. She wants to throw as hard as possible, but going big causes her time that costs more than what she gains in higher velocity.
From her knees - More practice and more confidence. She doesn't feel like she's as accurate, and defaults to throwing from her feet most of the time because of it.

May 23, 2015
From her feet - Quicker feet, and a more efficient hand path. She wants to throw as hard as possible, but going big causes her time that costs more than what she gains in higher velocity.
From her knees - More practice and more confidence. She doesn't feel like she's as accurate, and defaults to throwing from her feet most of the time because of it.
All good points. Footwork is a win. Ots all tiny building blocks. Its a process that she can work through. Confidence is the tough one with players that care. They dont want to let anyone down or themselves. Good students....

Going big is a little concern. Some kids make speed look effortless others work hard for it. Velocity is very very hard to find. Believe it or not velocity increases with certainty. If your brain is certain of its actions good things happen. When you think too much you get clouded and tense. Jack Llewellyn prove it to me.

Jul 22, 2020
At that young age recommend learning the technique with one hop throws initially,

would love to see a section w/recommended vids on youtube. There are so many that contradict others, and some that are just complete trash. I've wondered about the throwing from the knees myself and was thinking about how to start my daughter on it. thanks for the OP for bringing it up, and you for the vid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802