What age to start throwing from knees?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Pop time. Glove to glove. Knees or feet. Whichever is faster is best. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simply said right on target 👍

Being able to make the play is the expectation on the field.
Prepair accordingly!!!

GO CATCHERS

May 24, 2013
So Cal
4 steps is ridiculous. Catch-rIght-left-throw...that's it. Any more than that is wasting time that you will never make up with velocity. The video posted on page 8 by 625e is a good one to look at for how the best of the best do it. 2 steps. Minimal "gaining ground". Get your feet on the ground, and the ball in the air, as quickly as possible.

May 23, 2015
I'm speaking of 2nd yr 14u all the way to P5 D1 freshman starters from the best teams in our org. Some catchers short arm it a little more than others, to get the ball out faster. Some "wind up" a little more to get that extra velo. All are able to throw absolute gas, there are no soft throws in the above but there is a velo difference. Also, what is interesting is that the #1 and #2 catchers for our org are both lefties.

The point being, each catcher will bring an individual identity to their play. The bottom line is get the ball to 2nd the fastest.

The catchers that I'm referring to from seeing them in practices:
OU, Oregon, Washington current catchers
OU, Clemson, Florida commits
Ok so what sort of exchange time numbers are you seeing in these elite players?

May 23, 2015
4 steps is ridiculous. Catch-rIght-left-throw...that's it. Any more than that is wasting time that you will never make up with velocity. The video posted on page 8 by 625e is a good one to look at for how the best of the best do it. 2 steps. Minimal "gaining ground". Get your feet on the ground, and the ball in the air, as quickly as possible.
Correct with a slight caveat. The best have crazy velocity. They can afford to put a little less effort in gaining ground. Each foot of ground gained is equivalent to about one mph.

Bullseye ignore what I just said

Mar 10, 2020
Correct with a slight caveat. The best have crazy velocity. They can afford to put a little less effort in gaining ground. Each foot of ground gained is equivalent to about one mph.

Bullseye ignore what I just said
Heres you backtracking yourself.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Ok so what sort of exchange time numbers are you seeing in these elite players?

Ha, your lining yourself up to discredit my opinions based upon a metric that you know I don't have. I don't go out to my DD's practices and video the catching work. It is an observation. All of the elite catchers that I've seen or see (even just this weekend) are individually different. Their transfer times are all UNBELIEVABLE, yet, they are still different from each other. That is the only point that I was making.

Get the ball to 2B the fastest (and accurate), the only metric that matters..

I doubt that a college coach is going to say... "but she didn't gain enough ground!" The catchers that I see never take more than a quick single small step forward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802