What actually do you call the style that Coach Lisle teaches and why do a lot of softball coaches hate it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University
I got you and it is the load/negative move more than likely :

Thank you.

Sorry. If you’re kid is under 12 or already in college, I’m comfortable with talking about their swing video. But with NCAA’s crazy rules, I’m not gonna open Pandora’s box of breaking down prospective athletes swings.

Aug 20, 2017

Thank you.

Patter, get her to keep her hips tighter, skinny, together, during the move out. Her hips are getting too wide, disconnected and not being used efficiently.

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry. If you’re kid is under 12 or already in college, I’m comfortable with talking about their swing video. But with NCAA’s crazy rules, I’m not gonna open Pandora’s box of breaking down prospective athletes swings.
She is 10 but I understand. I have a pretty good feel for what she needs right now and was looking for some new/different ideas about what I mentioned. There are obviously some other issues as well but moving out better is what I think is most important at the moment. Thank you.

Jun 8, 2016
Patter, get her to keep her hips tighter, skinny, together, during the move out. Her hips are getting too wide, disconnected and not being used efficiently.
Thanks. Yes, I have told her to try and feel like she is keeping her knee tucked under her front hip longer as she moves out but at the moment the progress is slow.

Last edited:

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University

Thank you.

She's tall.

Here's what I see and what I would do:

- I love her stance.
- As she loads back she does get over her backside a little too much. But it's not terrible.
- Where things break down is her stride/forward move. She's way too violent with it and gets WAY too wide. I would put some tape on the ground at half her height and try to stay around there.
- She needs to control that forward move much slower/better and shorten it up. She loses control of her body with that move.
- Her bat path isn't great but those aren't things I would focus on until she can get to a good launch position.

What to do?

- Work on a slow tempo in her load/stride. She can even verbalize it out loud by saying things like "Kaaaaaaaaaa-----boom"..
- Use some athletic tape to mark where her stance is and her launch position. Try to not go much further than 50% of her height at launch position/heel strike
- Practice it. Over. and Over.
- Slow. Controlled.

Hope that helps. Take care.

Jun 8, 2016
She's tall.

Here's what I see and what I would do:

- I love her stance.
- As she loads back she does get over her backside a little too much. But it's not terrible.
- Where things break down is her stride/forward move. She's way too violent with it and gets WAY too wide. I would put some tape on the ground at half her height and try to stay around there.
- She needs to control that forward move much slower/better and shorten it up. She loses control of her body with that move.
- Her bat path isn't great but those aren't things I would focus on until she can get to a good launch position.

What to do?

- Work on a slow tempo in her load/stride. She can even verbalize it out loud by saying things like "Kaaaaaaaaaa-----boom"..
- Use some athletic tape to mark where her stance is and her launch position. Try to not go much further than 50% of her height at launch position/heel strike
- Practice it. Over. and Over.
- Slow. Controlled.

Hope that helps. Take care.
Thank you. A lot of these things we have been working on (I have been preaching a more controlled move out for the last 2 years at least) but it hasn't taken yet. She can control the move out well off the tee but once a moving ball is thrown at her she breaks down. We will keep working.

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University
Thank you. A lot of these things we have been working on (I have been preaching a more controlled move out for the last 2 years at least) but it hasn't taken yet. She can control the move out well off the tee but once a moving ball is thrown at her she breaks down. We will keep working.

Part of it has to do with her load. Because she gets over her backside she needs/wants to push forward. Try to calm down her load with her back leg/knee keeping her back knee inside of her back foot. I would also use a slant board or similar to help feel it and I would not practice it off the tee. Stick to front toss and live to better ingrain it. (using the tape too)

1585683321123.png

Jun 8, 2016
Part of it has to do with her load. Because she gets over her backside she needs/wants to push forward. Try to calm down her load with her back leg/knee keeping her back knee inside of her back foot. I would also use a slant board or similar to help feel it and I would not practice it off the tee. Stick to front toss and live to better ingrain it. (using the tape too)

View attachment 16902
Appreciate the tips and yes she is fairly tall for her age but all bones ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28