What actually do you call the style that Coach Lisle teaches and why do a lot of softball coaches hate it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
LOL. I kept saying "don't go on the message boards".

I'll leave by saying this: The hands are ACTIVE to a degree for all hitters. Some a lot and some very little. However, I would say that showing a video of Yelich on a take where his hands come forward a little as he's hitting the brakes is a really bad way to try and show active hands.

Here's the thing everyone needs to understand:

1. Never turn a .400 hitter into a .200 hitter.

2. There are NO absolutes in hitting. There are lots of little things that can help but each person is designed differently. The goal of a hitting coach is to find the best way to help THAT particular hitter. Active hands. Not active hands. Landing open. Landing closed. It can all work.

3. Well, I believe in the soul... I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a Constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf but I love the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve. I believe that some movements are better than others. I believe that turning from the middle is better than turning from the head/shoulders or hands. I believe everyone can hit the ball much harder than they have in the past. I believe that building trust and a relationship is the best way to get a hitter to improve. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out.
Thanks!! I will leave you alone now and pester somebody else ;)

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University
As I'm sitting around waiting for the D1 Council's decision on 2020 Spring Athletes eligibility, if you have any other questions (that you guys haven't already figured out) that I can help with, I'll try my best to answer them.

Jun 8, 2016
As I'm sitting around waiting for the D1 Council's decision on 2020 Spring Athletes eligibility, if you have any other questions (that you guys haven't already figured out) that I can help with, I'll try my best to answer them.
Any suggestions for getting a kid to move out more balanced/centered e.g. she is reaching with the front foot. Not that I know anybody like that :rolleyes: If I have exceeded my quota of questions just let me know ;)

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University
Any suggestions for getting a kid to move out more balanced/centered e.g. she is reaching with the front foot. Not that I know anybody like that :rolleyes:

My guess is that she has too much weight on her backside either in her stance or her load. I would make sure she maintains a 50/50 balance in her stance and load. A few tricks I used to do with younger kids: Have her walk sideways for 25 feet and sideways back. She won't reach with her front foot. Show and Explain and have her communicate the feeling. Secondly, I would give her a constraint drill-like her back foot up on a cinder block or piece of wood. This will create a better "attacking" posture and help with her forward move. Sometimes text isn't the best way to convey stuff like this. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

Jun 8, 2016
My guess is that she has too much weight on her backside either in her stance or her load. I would make sure she maintains a 50/50 balance in her stance and load. A few tricks I used to do with younger kids: Have her walk sideways for 25 feet and sideways back. She won't reach with her front foot. Show and Explain and have her communicate the feeling. Secondly, I would give her a constraint drill-like her back foot up on a cinder block or piece of wood. This will create a better "attacking" posture and help with her forward move. Sometimes text isn't the best way to convey stuff like this. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
I got you and it is the load/negative move more than likely :

Thank you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478