What actually do you call the style that Coach Lisle teaches and why do a lot of softball coaches hate it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Ok it has to be asked @CoachLisle

Active handle torque or nah, what say you ;) (sort of an inside joke but you probably get the gist...)

Last edited:

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University
Ok it has to be asked @CoachLisle

Active handle torque or nah, what say you ;) (sort of an inside joke but you probably get the gist...)

LOL. Here’s what I will say:

The barrel doesn’t need to be turned to get the bat on plane. Some hitters more so because their bat is very vertical at launch position. Others not as much because their barrel is less vertical. The Astros org in 2019 had hitters pre-set that position in their stance so that they wouldn’t have to turn it much.

Having said that, the “turning” of the barrel is done in conjunction with your body attacking the ball from the middle of your body. They work together.

Manipulating barrel turn by early wrist and forearm supination is a horrible idea for anyone under 230lbs. (And probably still a bad idea). I’m never going to talk badly about other hitting coaches out there. So I’ll leave it at that.

Jun 8, 2016
LOL. Here’s what I will say:

The barrel doesn’t need to be turned to get the bat on plane. Some hitters more so because their bat is very vertical at launch position. Others not as much because their barrel is less vertical. The Astros org in 2019 had hitters pre-set that position in their stance so that they wouldn’t have to turn it much.

Having said that, the “turning” of the barrel is done in conjunction with your body attacking the ball from the middle of your body. They work together.

Manipulating barrel turn by early wrist and forearm supination is a horrible idea for anyone under 230lbs. (And probably still a bad idea). I’m never going to talk badly about other hitting coaches out there. So I’ll leave it at that.
Lol..thanks!! Wasn't expecting you to answer :)

Hey @Work=wins you have some sort of blackmail material on him or what ?

Jun 8, 2016

So @CoachLisle in your opinion that action from Yelich is core driven only (you probably are going to wish you didn't wander in here.. :LOL:) ?

Jun 8, 2016
OMG leave him alone.. LOL :ROFLMAO:
Hey what was the title of the thread? Might as well get it from the horse's mouth, figuratively speaking of course (he isn't a horse..I've seen a picture).

Heck, if Ted Williams' head made an appearance in here I would ask him (or is it an "it"..not sure heads have a gender) too..

May 12, 2016
Hey what was the title of the thread? Might as well get it from the horse's mouth, figuratively speaking of course (he isn't a horse..I've seen a picture)
Here's the horses mouth

He obviously loses the barrel in the check swing, makes sense, heavy ended object coming to an abrupt stop.

Another good video

Last edited:

CoachLisle

CoachLisle.com
May 19, 2014
Santa Clara University
LOL. I kept saying "don't go on the message boards".

I'll leave by saying this: The hands are ACTIVE to a degree for all hitters. Some a lot and some very little. However, I would say that showing a video of Yelich on a take where his hands come forward a little as he's hitting the brakes is a really bad way to try and show active hands.

Here's the thing everyone needs to understand:

1. Never turn a .400 hitter into a .200 hitter.

2. There are NO absolutes in hitting. There are lots of little things that can help but each person is designed differently. The goal of a hitting coach is to find the best way to help THAT particular hitter. Active hands. Not active hands. Landing open. Landing closed. It can all work.

3. Well, I believe in the soul... I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a Constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf but I love the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve. I believe that some movements are better than others. I believe that turning from the middle is better than turning from the head/shoulders or hands. I believe everyone can hit the ball much harder than they have in the past. I believe that building trust and a relationship is the best way to get a hitter to improve. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out.

Jun 8, 2016
Here's the horses mouth

He obviously loses the barrel in the check swing, makes sense, heavy ended object coming to an abrupt stop.

Well the horse in this case, since the thread was about what Coach taught, was Coach. He has now been gracious enough to clarify that some due to my incessant pestering :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598