What a difference a week makes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
I posted last week that DD learned a good and hard lesson about the importance of being a pitcher and not just a thrower. We played a 4 game friendly yesterday and DD got two starts in the first and third games and came in as relief in the 4th game. The first game of the day she had 6 strikeouts against one of the better hitting teams in the friendly. Her coach had her throwing 65 - 70% off speed and rise. The fastball was pretty much relegated to a supporting role. The opposing team was off balance all game and she gave up only two hits.

The third game was a bit tougher as we were facing a '94 team with ours pretty much all '95 or '96. This team also scouted our first game and they were prepared for her off speed pitches. DD had to rely on hitting corners and had to really use her drop and rise more than she was comfortable with. She gave up 4 runs on 5 hits and 5 k's with a couple of walks. The team had her back and scored the go ahead run with under a minute left before drop dead to give us the 5 -4 "victory". I used the quotes since we were the visiting team and under any other rules either the score would have reverted or the other team would have had an at bat.

Last game was the most rewarding. We were playing against a travel team that asked her to tryout and then didn't return phone calls. We only learned she didn't make the team when the coach from her current team called and said he heard through the grapevine that she was available. She came in relief in the bottom of the 5th inning and proceeded to strikeout 2 of the three batters and had the last one pop-up to short to end the game. The opposing coach refused to look me in the eye after the game (btw looks like he selected the fireball pitcher in place of my DD. She throws high 50s to low 60s consistently but is weak on other pitches and has control problems. We scored 3 of the 5 runs on changes ups that were in the dirt or rises that were 5 feet above the catchers head I do have to admit she was fast as all but one of the 6 outs she got were Ks.)

We have this weekend off but have a real challenge in two weeks as we face a series of teams that are perennials at nationals. DD is looking forward to the challenge and opportunity to play tough competition. I love that spirit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55