What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2019
LOL. Maybe. But I think changes are happening more rapidly now than ever before. Again, it's my belief these changes are becoming more and more necessary due to the equipment the offense is using being so superior. They weren't using composite bats in the 1980's. :)

So I should get my DD crow hop again? Leaping is actually easier to pick up. She leaped too. Now I feel really foolish to fix those so called illegal pitches.

Aug 21, 2008
So I should get my DD crow hop again? Leaping is actually easier to pick up. She leaped too. Now I feel really foolish to fix those so called illegal pitches.

No, that's just my opinion of what's coming sooner instead of later. I'd suggest pitching within the rules, even if that means they'll be changing later. That's like saying "I am not going to buy a bat now because a new one will come out in 2022". You have to use what you're allowed at this moment.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
There are a lot of videos on YouTube from WSBC games featuring teams from around the world. WSBC rules do not require that the push off foot remain in contact with the ground. I was looking at the U19 games and the pitchers don't drag the foot but overall the effect is not earth shattering. Most of the girls have mechanics similar to what you see now except that the foot doesn't drag. The girls don't come flying off the mound like the men do. Out of the dozen or so pitchers that I saw only one had a replant and it was minor. Here is Canada vs Australia.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That Canada/Australia game pitchers not very much extra leapy push going on. imo

Experienced much much more dramatic leap/hop/jumping...
Where just timing the pitcher was an increased element to contend with as a batter.

Still remember pitchers launching into the air,
could see both feet off the ground,
some higher than others,
not starting the pitch yet,
waiting ever so briefly
(split split second)
to react to their arm actually starting the pitch!
NOT~ reacting to their initial body movement!

Would be interesting to see a giant leaper/crow hopper again.
College batters would have to adjust.
And switching pitchers from one who does to one who doesnt, makes for a snazzy pitching change!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
There are a lot of videos on YouTube from WSBC games featuring teams from around the world. WSBC rules do not require that the push off foot remain in contact with the ground. I was looking at the U19 games and the pitchers don't drag the foot but overall the effect is not earth shattering. Most of the girls have mechanics similar to what you see now except that the foot doesn't drag. The girls don't come flying off the mound like the men do. Out of the dozen or so pitchers that I saw only one had a replant and it was minor. Here is Canada vs Australia.

I think your assessment is spot on. But I'd add this: Australians, Canadians, NZ'ers, and just about everyone at the WBSC U19 level still has the hopes and dreams of playing NCAA softball in the USA. So they are going to pitch with whatever rules they believe will help get them recruited or seen. If one of these girls from Aussie (for example) showed up with a massive crowhop, the chances of a college showing interest would plummet. So there's no question that this is the reason they are still using "old school" mechanics and following the rules they'd use in college. Take away that hope of college, and you'd see them leaping and jumping within the next WBSC cycle or 2.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Kelly Barnhill didn't get called. And I didn't see anyone had a problem with it on TV, not the umpire, not the other team's coach, not even when the other team was losing. I saw slapper hitting out of box get called on TV. I saw runner left base early get called on TV. But I never saw crow hopper get called in any broadcasted games I watched so far.
Happens every year at the WCWS. Where they take a rule they haven’t enforced all year and in the biggest stage of the college game, they start calling it.

May 27, 2013
I remember Kenzie Fowler from Arizona getting called for IP in the WCWS years ago.

ETA: It actually was a pretty big deal at the time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478