What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Leaping has become legal in International play (it will be allowed here very soon too). The line between leaping and crowhopping will continue to get blurred.

Is there any consensus on this? I’m going to feel pretty foolish for spending so much time and money to get DD to where she is in her delivery (legal, BTW) only to see crow hopping become permitted and all the girls who have been doing it for years are way ahead of her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
Is there any consensus on this? I’m going to feel pretty foolish for spending so much time and money to get DD to where she is in her delivery (legal, BTW) only to see crow hopping become permitted and all the girls who have been doing it for years are way ahead of her.

I don't know what you consider to be a "consensus" but it doesn't take much to see the way the wind is blowing. These aren't in chronological order:

1. Umpires are calling less and less illegal pitches
2. The rules have changed to allow pitchers 1 foot on the rubber
3. Leaping has been legalized in International play
4. already having moved the pitching rubber back to 43 from 40', it's unlikely they will do that again despite the technology of today's equipment. Altering the pitching rules is the only other option to re-balance the game, as the hitting is clearly taking over.

There probably more signs of the times but, the first 2 were precursors to what is allowed in the men's game today (no rules except don't throw overhand).

Jun 19, 2016
This topic seems to have lots of great opinions. My two cents....for what it's worth....the illegal pitch is the number one thing that coaches like to cry when they are getting bested by a good pitcher. It really doesn't bother me that umpires call an Illegal pitch. What bothers me is when they only do it when prompted by a coach. I think they should call it at 10 and 12U but they should do do fairly. They should also let the coach know an illegal pitch was called. I had one umpire call my 12U DD for an illegal pitch several times and all he did was put his fist out and say ball. We all just thought he had a super tight zone.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I’ve been following this thread, not much talk about HS ball. That would seem to me to be that magical dividing line where umps have to enforce the rules. The games being played don’t just count for one weekend, results count towards conference standings, i.e. the crow-hopper from Memorial HS dominating the team from Lincoln HS effects my team’s standings.

Not there yet, but I’m hoping that the whole ecosystem, where teams aren’t paying thousands just to play a game (as they do in tourneys), alters the equation a bit.

Good point in this post!
There are certain venues where we see umpire'ing tighten up!!!

See it at PGF nationals.
TCS umpires are usually on it.
Those are tournament venues.

Prepair accordingly !

Dec 15, 2018
CT
As an umpire, former coach and parent, I find there's far more technical violations of the preliminaries (hands separated or not, taking signal) than the delivery. And at 10U, unless it's an A level tournament or B level in July, I'm probably just telling the coach to fix it after the inning. I don't actually see a lot of leaping.

Aug 21, 2008
As an umpire, former coach and parent, I find there's far more technical violations of the preliminaries (hands separated or not, taking signal) than the delivery. And at 10U, unless it's an A level tournament or B level in July, I'm probably just telling the coach to fix it after the inning. I don't actually see a lot of leaping.

There's other issues at play if a 10U pitcher is "taking a signal". LOL. But then again, I sometimes forget that many 10u pitchers have 8 pitches.

Jun 19, 2016
Only time my DD got called in 10U was for some sort of pre delivery bull. Stepping on the rubber with hands together is my favorite. I can't see how that hurts a batter if they are still pausing. It was always because some coach that was supposed to win was getting beat and was throwing a fit about how an 8 or 9 year old girl was throwing a pitch.

Their immaturity actually made her better in the long run so I guess it okay.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I don't know what you consider to be a "consensus" but it doesn't take much to see the way the wind is blowing. These aren't in chronological order:

1. Umpires are calling less and less illegal pitches
2. The rules have changed to allow pitchers 1 foot on the rubber
3. Leaping has been legalized in International play
4. already having moved the pitching rubber back to 43 from 40', it's unlikely they will do that again despite the technology of today's equipment. Altering the pitching rules is the only other option to re-balance the game, as the hitting is clearly taking over.

There probably more signs of the times but, the first 2 were precursors to what is allowed in the men's game today (no rules except don't throw overhand).
Based on the chronology of the rule changes you mention, expect leaping to become legal in early to mid 2030's.

Apr 28, 2014
Illegal pitchers are weak. They have not learned to break bad habits. I see it during winter workouts. Pitchers gym stepping to gain a few MPH. Can't do that during games. A pitching coaches job is to correct illegal behaviors not encourage them. Parents are also to blame along with coaches. If the batter is brining up a rolled bat should that not be policed? Same thing...

Aug 21, 2008
Based on the chronology of the rule changes you mention, expect leaping to become legal in early to mid 2030's.

LOL. Maybe. But I think changes are happening more rapidly now than ever before. Again, it's my belief these changes are becoming more and more necessary due to the equipment the offense is using being so superior. They weren't using composite bats in the 1980's. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog