What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2019
Barnhill was doing it to give the batters a chance. She'd be 75mph+ without the replant. lulz

Kelly Barnhill didn't get called. And I didn't see anyone had a problem with it on TV, not the umpire, not the other team's coach, not even when the other team was losing. I saw slapper hitting out of box get called on TV. I saw runner left base early get called on TV. But I never saw crow hopper get called in any broadcasted games I watched so far.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
As an umpire, I had this a couple times calling 10U games. I didn't call it, the coaches didnt say anything. After the game I told the coach about it, he says he's working on it. That needs to be straightened out in practice. I'm not going to show up at a 10u game and call the first hop and make that pitcher become a walk machine, that's not good for anyone, that would make a miserable game for everyone playing and watching. I'd probably let it go in 12u too, with more warnings for the coach that this isn't gonna fly the older they get. If one of the coaches brings it up to me, I'll call it. 14 U and up, I've called it, that's my limit.
Thank goodness some common sense arrives.

Mar 28, 2014
Alright @texasheat! Way to bring it.

So why do you think the majority of men pitchers who are allowed to leap do? - where did you get those numbers and what % of them do versus don't?

I will say without doubt
Having faced pitchers who trained to crow hop and leap deffinetly developed and had advantage from it. - again, using anecdotal evidence and again you are commingling the terms. Leaping is not crow hopping. There is an advantage gained from crow hopping.
Experienced when could and when they couldnt.
While some still do (slightly)
It is NOT AS GNARLY as when the female pitcher's trained to do it on purpose.
*Thats right woman were allowed to hop/leap!
And that rule changed!
Because its was one of the reasons pitchers were so dominant! - according to who?
Changed because hardly any base hits or runs. Longgg extra inning games. -and that had nothing to do with dead cork center balls and old technology non-composite bats at all did it.

Standing in the batters box is the best way to truely understand what it does to timing the pitcher and seeing the actual release point.

When they moved pitching back 3 feet it helped batters and can be seen in those stats.
Imagine the pitcher gaining back 3 feet.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@texasheat
Maybe you should look up men who pitch.
Yep lots of leaping.
International also!
Since you seem to be doubting.

Mens game thats in Mr.B wheelhouse
Aka~ @Hillhouse

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Good visual AND listen to description.

There maybe different ways to explain/describe visually seeing what is considered a crow hop or leap. But the produced results are similar in gaining ground.

Jul 14, 2018
I’ve been following this thread, not much talk about HS ball. That would seem to me to be that magical dividing line where umps have to enforce the rules. The games being played don’t just count for one weekend, results count towards conference standings, i.e. the crow-hopper from Memorial HS dominating the team from Lincoln HS effects my team’s standings.

Not there yet, but I’m hoping that the whole ecosystem, where teams aren’t paying thousands just to play a game (as they do in tourneys), alters the equation a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802