What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
:) :):) so watch age should it be called?

Oorrrr are you advocating for leaping in all of travel?

Played when crow hop and leap were legal.
Then it changed and got cracked down on hard.
Saw the advantage that was taken away.
Batting averages proved it.

Just sayin,
Saw the affects of umpires applying this rule.
you're commingling leaping and crow hopping.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
hey my man you're moving the goalposts on me, we were strictly talking about leaping. No one is saying they shouldn't call that.
Sorry wasn't clear. I think leaping/crow hopping should all be called and was using that is an extreme example of things umps/coaches let go, but I don't think it's that much different than leaping and especially crow hopping. It is still a mechanics issue that is not within the rules of the game.

I will compromise though and say that in pool games it should be pointed out and the player given a chance to work thru it without penalty. IMO that's what pools are for. And that's from the dad of a leaper (hopefully, soon to be former leaper).

Mar 28, 2014
Sorry wasn't clear. I think leaping/crow hopping should all be called and was using that is an extreme example of things umps/coaches let go, but I don't think it's that much different than leaping and especially crow hopping. It is still a mechanics issue that is not within the rules of the game.

I will compromise though and say that in pool games it should be pointed out and the player given a chance to work thru it without penalty. IMO that's what pools are for. And that's from the dad of a leaper (hopefully, soon to be former leaper).
What advantage does leaping give a pitcher? When ever pitching coach worth his/her salt will tell you the drive needs to be out instead of up.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What advantage does leaping give a pitcher?
Gain ground.
Get release point closer.

This was previously discussed in several threads.
Commented that when given the choice pitchers chose differently
Some no hop = used drag.
Some leap.
Some crow hop.

Would i say there can be an advantage to crow/leap.
Yes.
Would everybody want to do it.
No.

*If pitchers worked with it would some gain an advatage over what they are doing now.
Yes = from being witness to it in the box.
It would crazy timing if a pitcher only leaped sometime.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Our pitcher who leaps is noticeably slower when she attempts to drag. She never gets called for it so continues to leap.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Who said you were wrong?
Obviously, this topic has been around for a very long time. At tournaments, HS play ... when I ask the rule to be enforced, I am the bad guy. Thus, my response. If my dd could pitch fairly successfully in TB and HS and not leap or crow-hop, I would think that anyone could do the same.

Jul 14, 2018
In my example above, the pitcher in question was crow hopping — that is, she was replanting her drive leg and taking a second push before completing her pitch (Kelly Barnhill style). Definitely illegal and definitely an advantage.

As I watched, I was pretty incredulous. It was a tournament day, this kid was plainly cheating, and the other coach did object. I thought that if I was in his shoes, I’d be loudly protesting after every pitch.

But in retrospect, I think the umpire did the right thing by issuing a couple of warnings and calling one IP. The kid isn’t going to make a mechanical change mid game, and October is close enough to the offseason that she could adjust if she wanted to.

The problem, of course, is that she’ll correct her motion and lose 4-6 mph. Then she’ll decide that it’s not worth it, that the occasional IP call is worth the extra velocity.

Then as now, I’m self-aware enough to know part of the reason I’m still thinking about it is that this pitcher wins a lot more games than DD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Having tried all three variations as I’ve learned to pitch.... there is a clear advantage to leaping and crow hopping versus having to drag.

I learned to drag first so I could better help DD as she learned. I wanted to feel what she was during the pitch. But, I’ve already begun to transition to pitching with a leap/crow hop.

There’s definitely gaming the game in terms of toe drag. How long does the toe actually stay connected to the ground. Is it off enough for an umpire to call it. If it’s not being called why (as a pitcher) worry about. Etc etc.

My opinion is if it’s part of the rules then a pitcher (of any age) should learn to pitch within the rules. Now....whether it’s a warning or called an IP could vary depending on age bracket. 8U and 10U get more warnings as girls are often first to second year pitchers here. Typically inexperienced coaches and parents as well. 12U+ get more actual IP’s called. I believe the skill level of the league/tournament also needs to be taken into account. Higher end TB gets a shorter leash than say the lower you go in rec league.

Pitching is hard but it’s not so hard not to learn to make your toe drag. What’s hard is dragging the toe with the least amount of weight on it. IE - How can I find the lightest anchor possible without not having an anchor.

Right or wrong....my $0.02 in the short time I’ve been involved with DD and the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2014
Obviously, this topic has been around for a very long time. At tournaments, HS play ... when I ask the rule to be enforced, I am the bad guy. Thus, my response. If my dd could pitch fairly successfully in TB and HS and not leap or crow-hop, I would think that anyone could do the same.
did you also put time and energy into asking the strike zone to be from the armpits to the knees? That is never enforced.

Mar 28, 2014
Our pitcher who leaps is noticeably slower when she attempts to drag. She never gets called for it so continues to leap.
is that because of an advantage from the leap or is it because that is the way she pitches so that when she changes she slows down because it feels foreign?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478