What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Understand about the point of
'delaying the game'
Too bad!
STOP using an excuse
'created by not calling it'
to continue not calling it.
Or!!!!
Change the rule?
*sarcasm on *
For the 10u we're to young to apply that rule division?

Hmmm?
There are many things pitchers have to adjust to
Ball size changing
Distance moving back
Lane for feet to land within
Arm path stay within shoulder
And not leaping/hoping/jumping/skipping
Should they get a learning curve break on this rule?
Change rule until 12u.?
Spoken like a catcher!!

Again, it is not getting fixed during the game at 10u. She’ll keep doing it over and over.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
While we are at it. Why do umpires have their own interpretations of the strike zone? Shouldn't the zone be the same for everyone? Why should it take a few innings to figure out what the ump's zone is? Why can't it be the same all the time? I am pretty sure the strike zone is specified on the rule book.

May 27, 2013
My DD has/had a leaping problem. She is fixing it and has managed to get 90% of it fixed. She was called on it this Fall. Usually the ump will pull the HC to the circle and talk to him about it first. After that, if she didn't fix it they called IP. It has been rough and the HC on the team we just left didn't handle it well. He just pulled her and stopped using her all together.

Played 1st tournament this weekend with our new team. She pitched several games and the leap was small enough that the ump could contribute it to the crater in front of the rubber. Still a work in progress, but better.

Can I ask what age group? If 12U or younger are you glad something was said now as opposed to when she’s older (asking honestly, not being snarky). Just would like the opinion of someone who is dealing with this now.

Jul 14, 2018
It’s a tough call for the umps. DD and I watched one of her friends team play last fall. Their pitcher had a blatant crow hop, and she was blowing kids away at 14U.

The other coach complained in the first inning, and the ump did call an IP. She stopped for 3-4 pitches and then started doing it again. There was another warning, but that was it. The hopper won 7-0.

The ump tried, and she was able to stop when she put her mind to it. But she went right back to muscle memory quickly and was very successful, probably throwing in the 55-60 range. Should the ump have taken over the game in an October 14U B pool game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
It’s a tough call for the umps. DD and I watched one of her friends team play last fall. Their pitcher had a blatant crow hop, and she was blowing kids away at 14U.

The other coach complained in the first inning, and the ump did call an IP. She stopped for 3-4 pitches and then started doing it again. There was another warning, but that was it. The hopper won 7-0.

The ump tried, and she was able to stop when she put her mind to it. But she went right back to muscle memory quickly and was very successful, probably throwing in the 55-60 range. Should the ump have taken over the game in an October 14U B pool game?

Was she crow hopping or leaping?

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Can I ask what age group? If 12U or younger are you glad something was said now as opposed to when she’s older (asking honestly, not being snarky). Just would like the opinion of someone who is dealing with this now.
12U

100% glad it happened.....well now I am. Not at the time because I'm the parent of a perfect kid. :p

The kid is fixing it. She will be better for it in the long run.

My big frustration was with my DD because she brushed me off when it started and wouldn't acknowledge it was an issue and it became a habit that is hard to break. Also, frustrated that coach just pulled her from the rotation and never really gave her a chance to prove herself again. However, the bench is a powerful motivator.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Spoken like a catcher!!

Again, it is not getting fixed during the game at 10u. She’ll keep doing it over and over.
Over and over until it gets fixed!
Its not the umpires job to fix.
Its the umpires job to make a point it's wrong.
If thats atleast once every game than its atleast once.

? at what point should the umpire's apply the rule?

Anyone care to comment on
*changing the rules for 10U
~and under and allowing it until 12u?
Then it would need to be corrected by 12u where in 12u no crow hopping leaping would apply.
Take away the learning curve issue?
Or
Take away the issue of umpires enforcing the rule.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
12U

100% glad it happened.....well now I am. Not at the time because I'm the parent of a perfect kid. :p

The kid is fixing it. She will be better for it in the long run.

My big frustration was with my DD because she brushed me off when it started and wouldn't acknowledge it was an issue and it became a habit that is hard to break. Also, frustrated that coach just pulled her from the rotation and never really gave her a chance to prove herself again. However, the bench is a powerful motivator.

Thank you for your input! I am so glad to hear that it is working out for your dd. She definitely will be much better off fixing it now. My dd used to have a gym step from throwing indoors. She didn’t develop it until 14U but started getting called on it in middle school. I couldn’t really see it because I’d catch for her but her PC did point it out when it started. He worked with her to correct it and by the time HS started, it was fixed. I was thankful that he picked up on it early on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802