What’s consider crow hop/leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
And here is where the problem begins. Prime example of letting it go at the younger ages because they are just learning and are so young. Parents and coaches then have no reason to try to get the player to break the habit because, “They never call it anyway.” Player then continues to pitch this way and all of a sudden when she’s older and it is getting called in HS, she falls apart. Why not use it as a teaching moment at this age so that they are forced to correct it before the muscle memory becomes too difficult to fix? I get that this may sound harsh at 10U but the umpires are not doing this player a favor at that age by allowing it to continue.
Agreed, it needs to be fixed sooner rather than later. But lets look at another angle. You have 17 other 10u players (8 on the field and 9 on the other team) that need to get playing (development) time and if the umps are calling a leap on every other pitch, they're being robbed of their opportunity. Because it will be called on almost every pitch at the 10u level if a girl is doing it. That habit is not getting fixed during a game, it will be fixed in the backyard.

So I actually fall on the side of the umpire here. Point it out after the game to the coach and kid. Use it as a teaching moment but don't make the other players have to sit through a terrible game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Agreed, it needs to be fixed sooner rather than later. But lets look at another angle. You have 17 other 10u players (8 on the field and 9 on the other team) that need to get playing (development) time and if the umps are calling a leap on every other pitch, they're being robbed of their opportunity. Because it will be called on almost every pitch at the 10u level if a girl is doing it. That habit is not getting fixed during a game, it will be fixed in the backyard.

So I actually fall on the side of the umpire here. Point it out after the game to the coach and kid. Use it as a teaching moment but don't make the other players have to sit through a terrible game.
Understand about the point of
'delaying the game'
Too bad!
STOP using an excuse
'created by not calling it'
to continue not calling it.
Or!!!!
Change the rule?
*sarcasm on *
For the 10u we're to young to apply that rule division?

Hmmm?
There are many things pitchers have to adjust to
Ball size changing
Distance moving back
Lane for feet to land within
Arm path stay within shoulder
And not leaping/hoping/jumping/skipping
Should they get a learning curve break on this rule?
Change rule until 12u.?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
Agree with you ^^^ some of us spend tooo much time teaching our kids the right way, now what if one of your pitchers come and ask you why can they do it and I can’t ???
I know what my answer will be. And I think that’s how they start to pick up bad

May 27, 2013

I do get what you are saying - but this is where the problem starts. Since the rule won’t be enforced, there is no incentive to correct it.

Jun 20, 2015
Why be afraid? The sooner she gets called on it, the better in the long run. Honestly, unless my team was beating you senseless, as a coach, i'd be in the ump's ear between every inning about enforcing the rules.

Oct 26, 2019
I’m good with an umpire making a judgement call and taking in all the factors involved. At 10U, depending on the level, half the kids out there can’t catch and throw. If the kid is still leaping through high school that’s not the 10U umpires fault, unless you don’t believe in personal accountability.

May 27, 2013
I’m good with an umpire making a judgement call and taking in all the factors involved. At 10U, depending on the level, half the kids out there can’t catch and throw. If the kid is still leaping through high school that’s not the 10U umpires fault, unless you don’t believe in personal accountability.

Not entirely their fault, but they are starting the cycle that seems to carry up through the age brackets. I‘ve seen the same umps at 10U up through 18U as sometimes they seem to be facility-based. It seems the same umps don’t call it, no matter the age group.

Also, not trying to blame the umpires here, as I feel that if it is pointed out to the pitcher, it ultimately relies on the player, parents, and PC to see that it gets corrected.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
My DD has/had a leaping problem. She is fixing it and has managed to get 90% of it fixed. She was called on it this Fall. Usually the ump will pull the HC to the circle and talk to him about it first. After that, if she didn't fix it they called IP. It has been rough and the HC on the team we just left didn't handle it well. He just pulled her and stopped using her all together.

Played 1st tournament this weekend with our new team. She pitched several games and the leap was small enough that the ump could contribute it to the crater in front of the rubber. Still a work in progress, but better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802