Well Dagnab it; first game back and this happens.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
So, we have our first tournament back this weekend post-COVID and it's an important showcase here in the SE. We're playing our first game of the tournament. DD is catching and took a pitch in some kind of wonky way to her glove hand. She is not sure if it just jammed her thumb or what. But it was obvious she was in real pain. Took her to the Children's ER and this was the result. Dislocated thumb; had to have it reduced. Which was apparently not a barrel of laughs or fun. Before and after pics below. Seeing hand orthopedist Tuesday and hoping she can be cleared in a week or two!!! Of all the rotten luck!

Attachments

• IMG_4999.JPG
    IMG_4999.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 6.35.38 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 6.35.38 PM.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 35
Mar 6, 2016
YyyOUCH!! 😵 That does look painful. My DD catcher did that but one thumb joint lower at base of thumb. Had to use an EVO thumb shield for about 2 months in order to not have pain each pitch.a4027ff1e502771a0385e5a688b9c3292be8e378_2044130_g2s_a130_h_thumbguard_a.jpg

Last edited:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Wow. Those are painful. When she gets back to it, might invest in a guard. Seems like that joint and the big one below it get enflamed quickly when there has been a previous injury.

Xan Barksdale has a pretty good product to help: http://catchersthumb.com/
(He's a baseball guy...don't hold that against him)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That ever happen to you RAD?
Nothing with thumbs.
Had a foul ball hit my throwing hand
middle finger.
Felt it... then when picking up the ball at the backstop found out...
It snapped my middle knuckle and
my middle finger (half of it)
was stuck bent the wrong way..
Tape was necessary to finish game.
Then for about a month.
That finger still points north-east.

Have heard good things of those thumb guards.
A student had a ligament in her glove hand repaired and wore guard. She said she also felt more confident with it hitting.

Last edited:
May 22, 2015
Illinois
Ouch!! That stinks. Hope she heals up and gets back at it quickly. My DD is in the same boat. Her first tourney was last weekend, but she fractured her wrist at practice the Wednesday before. She was soooo looking forward to softball again, now has to wait a couple more excruciating weeks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom