Welcome to the Speed & Power Forum

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This forum is for people who have questions about strength and conditioning for softball and how to workout or increase their speed, strength, and power through proper conditioning.

Last edited by a moderator:

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What do you do during the season?

I would be curious to hear what people do "during" the season in terms of strength and conditioning.

Do you do anything with your team? If so what?

Do you do anything individualluy? If so what?

Marc

May 5, 2008
Personally, I liked to lift weights. Never anything heavier than than the weight I could rep 10-12 times for 3+ sets.

I also loved jumping rope. I would jump for about 10 minutes (nice and slow) then do short bursts of jumping as fast as I could (about 10-15 seconds). This was a really good warm-up for me prior to starting a lift session. It's cool how much better you can lift when your body is warm.

During season our coaches would sometimes dedicate just 10-15 minutes at the beginning of practice to conditioning. We'd run in pairs around the field while tossing a ball back and forth with our partner. We didn't have to run "around" the field. we could just run wherever we wanted on the field so long as we kept moving and didn't let the ball drop.

Other times we'd run in a big group and run laps around the field while our coach blew a whistle which indicated the beginning or end of a full sprint.

Sometimes we run "dugout workouts" where we use the bench in the dugout like you would use a plyo box. We run it as a circuit with other exercises included (ab stuff, medicine ball stuff, dumb bell station, etc).

One other thing I like to do every now and then is the moving jumping jacks. About 4 rows of girls - everyone does an 8 count of jumping jacks and on 8 the back row sprints up to the front while the others start another 8 count. The line coming to the front jumps back into the jumping jacks once they get in position. We go all the way down the field like that.

Oh yes, and sometimes when I was playing our coaches had is do an Indian run using a softball tossed from person to person (front to back) then the back person sprints to the front.

Of course there are also a lot of things that can be done while running around the bases as well.

May 7, 2008
Marc:

I am an executive coach and small business consultant. I suggested to softball coaches to explore a teambuilding program at a local rock climbing facility because there appeared to be a lack of communication and unity (team strength). I walked away disappointed in the program not delivering what it advertised, but the girls had fun being together "off the field" (the essence of teambuilding). It was certainly an upper body workout. I have started the development of a teambuilding program for athletic teams. I would love input from forum members. I know this doesn't fit neatly in "speed and power." I could create a new thread under general discussion if you wish.

Ang

May 12, 2008
I was doing a hopping drill with the girls, ages 13-15, and after about 45 minutes we started a pairs hop scotch game. They did the drills and had some fun. We were hopping on one foot one way and the other on the back or on both. We were photographed for the local paper. Some other coaches in the area weren't to pleased with this form of the drills, but they did them and had fun. At this age I try to make things fun when I can. Was there anything wrong with this?

May 12, 2008
I have had a few problems with the team work thing. We ran 2 laps holding hands. I was looking for the best and fastest way for the girls to do this. The only rule was that they held hands. During the first lap they tried to run single file and soon found that if you have one end run around the outside of the fence and the other end run closer to second base I goes much smother. Another thing I want to try is wheel barrel racing. Team work, arm strengthening, balance and cardio for the runner.

May 13, 2008
hi I' sophmore in highschool and Iabsolutly live for softball I condition on my own. I try to workout many times a week as I can. I usally run around 2 to 2 1/2 miles and lift weights ( switching every few weeks between toning and gaining muscle) and a ab workout
Is there any thing eles Icould do to make me even stronger and faster?

May 5, 2008
As far as faster is concerned, don't forget to work on flexibility. Also, I didn't see you mention speed work/high intensity work. Running 2-2 1/2 miles on a regular basis is not going to make you fast. Running fast is going to make you fast. Also improving your running form can help make you faster too. Talking to a track coach can help you with information on speed work and with improving your running form.

May 13, 2008
ok I have terrible flexability and Is there any particular things i can do to improve it ? also so would running 100m dashes or something be better i really want to get faster but i don't know exactly how and I will do anything to improve myslef *(without spending money i mean i have no money to spend ):cool:

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You want to do extensive dynamic flexibility before you exercise, practice or play. Go on youtube.com and type dynamic warm-up. You will plenty of examples.

As far as stretching - you want to stretch your main and the most tight muscles after each exercise, practice or game for at least 5 minutes.

There is no limit for stretching so you can do as long or as often as you can.

Good luck.

Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802