Welcome to the Catching Forum!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Thanks for the great site

Marc,
Thanks for the great site. This will no doubt be a fantastic tool for all of us who are forever looking for new and fresh info about the game. I am sure that as a students of the game this will be an opportunity to here from like minded people who are interested in reaching new levels of play. Thanks for giving us a formal board in which to exchange information. We are looking foreword to many good conversations.
Thanks again. Mark

May 7, 2008
My daughter is playing catcher for an A team this year but only has rec league experience, so she is really in a steep learning mode this season. In your opinion, is it better to throw low and hard to second that bounces for a steal attempt or a higher aimed throw that is capable of being caught low but in the air? Also, any tips on arm mechanics, footwork, ball movement from glove to hand, etc. that she can practice to improve pop time and throwing accuracy for throws to second base on steal attempts?

Thanks.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
My daughter is playing catcher for an A team this year but only has rec league experience, so she is really in a steep learning mode this season. In your opinion, is it better to throw low and hard to second that bounces for a steal attempt or a higher aimed throw that is capable of being caught low but in the air? Also, any tips on arm mechanics, footwork, ball movement from glove to hand, etc. that she can practice to improve pop time and throwing accuracy for throws to second base on steal attempts?

Thanks.

HV_Dad,

First of all how old is your daughter?

Next, what is more important then the trajectory of the ball is whether proper footwork is used. The key is that she needs to be releasing the ball from behind homeplate. If she needs to do a modified crow-hop to get it there in the air then that has to be changed.

Give me some feedback on what kind of footwork she uses to make the throw.

Coach Weaver

May 8, 2008
Catchers

HV_Dad,

As a coach myself I agree with Coach Weaver. Along with the footwork, a smooth, quick transition from crouch to stand, glove to hand and a quick release will save her more time than a laser beam throw.
However in answer to the question: Ideally the perfect strike would be no more than 6 feet high at the highest arc that meets the SS's glove while it is on the ground to the first base side of the bag. This takes a rocket arm, though. Also, remember, a lower trajectory reaches its intended target faster. Most 2nd basemen or Shortstops prefer a good one hopper accurately thrown, over a laser to the wrong side of the bag. Another question you may ask yourself. How good is the player that will be receiving this throw?

Bob

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I have my catchers have their right foot farther back than their left so that they are already is a semi or full throwing position
Coach Vertuccio

May 11, 2008
Central Texas
throw down

I think all of this info in a way is correct. First thing to remember is that you have to teach at an aggressive rate. Let her throw down the way she has to in games but at practice make her do it right.There will be lots of mistakes and a lot of sore muscles but if she is willing to put in the work it's all worth it.My daughters rec coach was always telling her that a one hop was perfect. Well i have never seen a one hop in high school or college. Have you?After taking a personal interest in what my daughter loves to do,i have grown much closer with her and have no problem with telling her what i expect of her.Now if you are willing to show her,get a weighted ball and make her throw down with that(after a slow and long warm up).Full gear, behind the plate just like in a real game,throw down with dad as ss.If you you have a field great if not 84' 10" in the back yard will work.Remember, in the end do not let her give up on herself and the goal is to be able to throw from the knees, lazer accurate, to the first base side of second.Hannah gives me 4 hrs a week just for her practice,2 hrs a week for her league ball,and 7 hrs. a week for her A 14u select team and anything less than a 3.8 gpa just will not work.Grades are first.Like i said your daughter has to be willing to do the work,and knowone will make better decisions for your daughter than you.

Aug 21, 2008
thumb injuries

Hello, my 12 year old is new to catching, she seemed to be thrown into a fast pitch travel team position, but she loves her job. After a 5 game turnament she was complaining to us that her palm and thumb were sore, she caught all 5 games, we thought nothing of it. But now three days later, she catches live in pratice and a wild ball hit her mit and she was in because of her thumb. She wears a padded glove with her mit, but she feels that the padding isn't there for her thumb. Is her glove the wrong size, is this common, wrong catching, or what. She is know to play through pain, (goalie on boys team plays regulary with injured fingers, never a thumb problem though) Just what to keep her safe and loving the game. Thanks for any tips you may have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802