Welcome to DiscussFastpitch.com

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I am very excited to welcome you on my new discussion forum. I have been thinking about this for a while now.

You see, I get so many questions by email and I don't really have the time to answer them all that I thought it would be nice to have one place where people can come and ask all the questions they want about how to improve their game and softball in general. That is why I created this unique board.

This board is for any softball player, coach or parent that may have a questions related to softball. I want the focus of this discussion board to be mostly about the game, how it is played, how to improve one's performance or the performance of a team, or how to help athletes further their career.

So I invite you to post any questions your have or just jump into any conversations and add your thoughts or your opinion.

Nice to have you aboard!

Marc :)
Softball Peak Performance Coach
www.softballperformance.com

May 9, 2008
Pitcher

I have a daughter that plays travelball.She loves to pitch the only thing is she only recently started taking pitching lessons. She plays 3rd base in travelball and also outfield.Her pitching coach says she is at a level with her pitching where other girls usually take 2 years to accomplish. She has good speed and has a good change up, and curve ball. But she is only pitching in leauge games. I am afraid to let her pitch in travelball i feel she may not be ready yet. She practices hard every day. If we add 3 pound weights to her work out would that be overdoing it? Also she is 12 years old and the level of competition is high and she is very hard on herself when she makes mistakes. She is a good ballplayer i just want her to not give up on herself any suggestions????

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If she has good speed, a good change and some movement why would you think she's not ready? The only way you and she will find out is to give it a try. Just understand (and make sure she understands) it's ok if the first attempt is a rough one. For all things there is a first time. Too many people focus way too much on short-term success and not enough on the long-term. If she wants to pitch, she needs to pitch.

Set proper expectations and then go for it. She just might surprise you both. That's my recommendation in any case.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ease into it..

I have a daughter that plays travelball.She loves to pitch the only thing is she only recently started taking pitching lessons. She plays 3rd base in travelball and also outfield.Her pitching coach says she is at a level with her pitching where other girls usually take 2 years to accomplish. She has good speed and has a good change up, and curve ball. But she is only pitching in leauge games. I am afraid to let her pitch in travelball i feel she may not be ready yet. She practices hard every day. If we add 3 pound weights to her work out would that be overdoing it? Also she is 12 years old and the level of competition is high and she is very hard on herself when she makes mistakes. She is a good ballplayer i just want her to not give up on herself any suggestions????

I wouldn't go for the 3 lbs weight. What we need to do with her is to give her self confidence. That comes from 4 sources...

It's what we call the self-efficacy theory... big words to summarize four key factors of self-confidence building..

1) previous successes
2) Seeing others perform well that she can relate to and model (same age, same skills level)
3) Getting encouragement from significant people (coaches, instructors, friends, parents)
4) Feeling good about herself and strong

http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol3/issue4/staples1.gif (here is a chart of what it is)

Slowly build towards those 4 factors and she will learn how to cope with adversity.

Ease her into easier games. Get her to gain confidence and most important of all, always be positive and look for positive things (even if she gives up 5 runs and 2 homeruns).

One step at a time.. baby step that is. Steps forward bring you somewhere.

Cheers,

May 11, 2008
Central Texas
pitcher

If she really wants to play ,let her play both.She can get more mound time.Sounds like starter at rec level and pool game pitcher at select level.Really good pitchers are rare don't let her beat herself up or give up.

May 14, 2008
suburb of Seattle
I have a daughter who is 12 now and starting playing travel (we call it select) ball when she was 8. She was a natural and played on a 10U team. She was her team's ace. Let your daughter try pitching at the higher level. That's the only way she'll improve. A lot of pitching is mental; she'll have to learn that games don't always go well, and a lot of times they go as the pitcher goes. A good pitcher has to be able to take that kind of pressure. If she enjoys it, why shouldn't she pitch in travel ball? At 12, she should be. If she doesn't start now, it may be too late soon. (I know she's only 12, but that's true)! Good luck! It's fun watching her, isn't it? I love it.

Jun 20, 2008
pitching

Where can I get my little sister private pitching lessons. I have taught her a little but I really want her to get more lessons so that she will be ready for travel.

Jul 9, 2008
Here's what I would do...if she's progessing greatly then let her try pitching for the travel team, after about 1 more month of training to let her expert her curve and change up. You might even want to help her learn to do a drop ball..But I think you should let her go for it...When she gets mad at herself for a mistake she made...just tell her that its ok and that she can always do better the next time...Let her gain that self esteem and when you see that she is getting low on herself just tell her its ok and your there for her and that there will always be a next time...3 pounds might be overdoing it for a 12 year old....if she's doing 1 or 2 pounds you should add another half a pound or so to see how she responds to that...After a while when she builds more strength you should try a 3 pounder but not until she has gotten used to the 2 and half pounder....

Dec 21, 2008
General Softball Questions for promising player

Hi, Mark and everyone--

Our 11 1/2 year old daughter shows exceptional promise as a player. She plays on a competitive team. Now, in the off season, she is working with a trainer for conditioning, and with a batting coach--each of these twice a week. She also has a pitching lesson once a week. Given her age and current situation she is progressing extremely well.

Our question is: what can we do to help her become the best she can be? We live in the middle of Missouri. We work out of our home, so we can work anywhere. We were wondering if there is somewhere we should live to give our daughter the best coaching and best preparation for DI and professional softball. We see so many great players coming from AZ and CA and we wonder if we should live in one of these areas, as perhaps the coaching and the softball opportunities and exposure would be better in certain states or cities.

If there is a locale that is best, or locales that are better for our daughter, we would like to know. If location is not crucial or important, how do we give her the best coaching and preparation where we live now?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Generally, the factors for an area producing lots of great players are (1) population (the more kids means that there will be more great players), (2) an opportunity to play softball year round and (3) the availability of good coaches.

So, the best place to play softball is Southern California. Phoenix is good, but Southern California is ground zero for fastpitch. The California teams are really something. Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Texas and Virginia are also producing great players. Chicago also produces some good players. (Softball was invented in Chicago, and during the golden period of men's fastpitch, there were some great teams out of Aurora, Illinois. There is a lot of knowledge and tradition there.)

Is it crucial for your DD to play in those areas? No, not really. There are great players from all over. As long as she get good coaching and plays for a team that plays the best from the US, she can do well.

At 12 YOA, it is much too young to be thinking that she will become the next Jenny Finch. I would wait a while before rearranging your life to accommodate your DD's softball career.

Just to point out what should be obvious: Your DD's ultimate success in life will almost certainly be based on her education, not her softball skills. There is no pot of gold at the end of the softball rainbow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28