Weight training?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ok i have got mixed emotions when i have talked to people about this. i have started weight training with my daughter. she is ten. i want to increase her arm and bat speed plus get her in better shape. am i starting out to early with her? some say i am and some say go ahead. i am doing more light weight and higher rep type exercises for her.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hi ATF,

Ya a lot of people will argue for and against.

First of all, there are no dangers in lifting at 10 years - it is totally safe. All three major associations (National Strength and Conditioning Association, American Pediatric Associtation, American College of Sports Medicine) agree that it is safe and beneficial for kids to lift weight as early as 8.

Now there are a couple of guidelines you should follow:

1) Always emphasize technique over load (how much weight you lift) - high rep, low weight is fine

2) It should be enjoyable for her, if it feels like a chore everytime.. maybe not ready yet, shouldn't be imposed. I always suggest to parents to actually do all of the exercises with them because instead of being a workout, it is an activity with mom or dad and that is cool. Plus - most parent can benefit from some exercise :D

3) Don`t overdo it - 2, mayb 3 times a week for no more than 30-40 minutes. 15-20 is fine too.

So, if it doesn't feel like a chore, it`s not too long, technique over load is emphasize, it is totally beneficial and safe and supported by science and leading authority. there is a consensus in the scientific community about that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Marc

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Marc,
Thanks for you insight on this subject. I agree completely.
I've read what you posted about this on other message boards. There is a lot of misinformation out there about this subject and if people would do some research they would learn that working out with weights is as safe or safer than the sport they play.
AND can help prevent injuries in the long run.

Aug 21, 2008
ATF.. I'm not an expert on anything to do with weights but this much I know: one of the main problems people have with weight training is they do not stretch after done. The weights have a tendency to make them stiff, which leads to other issues. Workout and stretch.

Jan 22, 2009
Dont be so strict on her when she is so young.

Personally, I do not think you should be training her at this age. Ten year old softball teams are about having fun not being so serious. You start to get more serious when they enter in high school and college. Dont start being this strict so young because they will not enjoy it and end up not wanting to play when they get older.

MDT

May 8, 2008
Victorville CA
Weight lifting must be sport specific and developmentally appropriate. A proper warmup is mandatory before weightlifting (a 7-10 min jog, bike or elliptical). There are simple methods to increase arm/shoulder strength (the Fab 5 arm exercises) and the 4x10 batting swings that will increase bat speed and strength.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28