weight training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2011
GA
My DD has been competing in Olympic Style Lifting for 2 years. She is 12 now. She works with a certified S&C coach. The coach is aware that my DD is a softball player and adjusts her workouts for in season and off season work. When she competes she only does the snatch and clean and jerk, but does squats, DLs, push press etc during her training. She is 4'10" and an 80lbs. Yesterday she did a set of 3 ATG squats with 100lbs and a set of 5 DLs with 120lbs. It really helps with her overall game! JMO!

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
In touring 4 colleges with my daughter for swimming, all were doing the major lifts (Cleans, Deadlift etc.) and they all had their own strength coach working with them to make sure the lifts were being done correctly and the S&C was a woman in all cases. They also do a ton of core/ab work and all of this after a really good warm up in the gym.

I

Dec 4, 2013
First, how did I miss this thread? Secondly, one of my favorite posters, Maxx has posted in this thread and I missed it. I should have to go sit in the corner and have a time out for missing this thread!

OILF, I am not one to name call etc. but you really are missing it on this one. In fact, I'm betting that Maxx showed great restraint on his response to you. It is not my place to "out" Maxx but I consider him an expert on this topic both weight lifting and coaching softball.

My dd was talking when she got home about the weight lifting and how intense it is. The early mornings etc., the measurements and the drive to maintain or improve on each level that each player reaches. My dd got real sick and missed a week of school. One of her biggest concerns was her weight benchmarks. I believe I made a post on that. For example, DD deadlifted 285 before coming home which is slightly more than the 160% required to reach "advanced" in the dead lift. She has lifted 300 a few times but her strength coach didn't want her to do that for the benchmark she would use before going home. DD has dead lifted 325 one time but does not think she can do so right now.

Maxx will tell you that coaches take notes of player charts, both improvements and setbacks and do take the weight room very seriously. I asked DD about what the weight room has meant to her in her time in college. She laughed and said that they do a drill where the hit balls off of a tee and there are other players shagging in the field. The goal is for the players to do the drill and get feedback seeing ball flight. Then, the two groups swap. DD has now been moved all the way back to the backstop fence and still hits the balls out of the park off of the tee. DD said that when she was a freshman, she could hit the fence once in a while.

OILF is also wrong about those that run the weight rooms. Most big schools have sports specific people in charge of lifting. While they are often grouped, someone working with baseball/softball are as much into their jobs and the success of the programs as those who do football. At the smaller schools, those in charge of the weight room are there during assigned times to work with whomever has the weight room scheduled. They work and care about all athletes. Think of the Title IX lawsuits you would hear about if that were not the case. My DD lifts all year long at school. That strength coach has been there every time and has shown her the same drive he shows all others. If an athlete commits to the weight room, he commits to them.

I'll wrap up this post by saying this. If your DD has "issues" or weaknesses like reoccurring hamstring pulls, you bet the trainer and the strength coach are the only way that your dd will overcome these issues. JMHO!

That's a big pull for your daughter CB, that's awesome! Every power athlete could benefit from performing a form of deadlifts and squats with a high percentage of their 1RM. Softball is a power sport! IMO going in the weight room and strictly limiting yourself to using a low percentage of your 1rm and performing all high reps is useless...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478