Weight shift

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Here's a question for you guys. If the batters that weighs 200 lbs back foot was on a scale and his front foot landed on another scale. What would the back foot scale read just before his front foot touch the ground? What would the front scale read at contact?

Keep in mind, though, that a shift in the center of pressure does not always equal a shift in the center of mass.

Nov 18, 2015
Here's a question for you guys. If the batters that weighs 200 lbs back foot was on a scale and his front foot landed on another scale. What would the back foot scale read just before his front foot touch the ground? What would the front scale read at contact?

In this case, I don’t think the scale would be measuring weight - it would be measuring force. Can someone 200 lbs generate more than 200lbs of (ground?) force through their legs during a swing? (Paging Dr. Pattar and other engineers...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The real question is what is shifting? I don’t think ground force will tell you where the weight is in space while shifting. Relative to the ground yes. But nothing worth using related to how and where. If that makes sense.

Apr 11, 2015
The 50/50 when his foot is off the ground was what made me think it wasn't actually foot pressure distribution and more about where the COM was located e.g. centered or not..whatever. Doesn't really matter.
You're better equipped to answer that than I...but a discussion of "weight shift", and "mass shift" are two different things...no? So in a thread titled "Weight shift", my assumption is that the scales represent the "weight" on each side of the scale at the given times shown, and not necessarily the distribution of the player's overall "mass" at those times shown. At least those were my underlying thoughts when making my previous post for the discussion.

Apr 11, 2015
Depends on the player's stride, move-out, and mechanics style.

Some hitters shift their weight (or a majority of it) into their front leg before they swing, while other hitters are shifting their weight into their front leg as they're swinging, and into contact. So I don't believe there can be a specific answer to your question...but in generalities, I like to see an average weight distribution of about 60/40 rear to front as the hitter's front foot is weighting to the ground as they're commencing to swing/launch to the ball...which would if done "perfectly" (not always gonna happen obviously), the hitter's weight would continue to transfer into front leg/foot at contact (50/50), and continue through it to extension.

Apr 11, 2015
Does anybody have a gif where the hitter reaches weightlessness. (Both feet off the ground)
o6ZX8j5.gif

Close enough? :)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Depends on the player's stride, move-out, and mechanics style.

Some hitters shift their weight (or a majority of it) into their front leg before they swing, while other hitters are shifting their weight into their front leg as they're swinging, and into contact. So I don't believe there can be a specific answer to your question...but in generalities, I like to see an average weight distribution of about 60/40 rear to front as the hitter's front foot is weighting to the ground as they're commencing to swing/launch to the ball...which would if done "perfectly" (not always gonna happen obviously), the hitter's weight would continue to transfer into front leg/foot at contact (50/50), and continue through it to extension.

Hello. If I’m reading this correctly. Are you saying that a hitter ‘shifts THEN swings’? They don’t ‘shift AND swing’? Correct me if I’m wrong please.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28