Weight shift

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
giphy.gif

Preparing to swing and then swing. Launch position at the pause. Notice Sosa's foot/toe is still off the ground.

Look at COM still ‘back’ while his foots in the air. When the foot hits his COM ‘squares up’ and then finishes.

Pros aren’t 1 legged. Their COM is not their back hip. It’s their Core. That’s the rotation or pivot point. Imo

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
For me personally I believe the weight or COM shifts back, shifts to the middle in space and shifts after toe touch into the front leg into contact. I know I’m in the minority. Yes it’s a shift THEN swing. But thats what I see in pro swings.

I see it as the core counter rotates(shifts back). Then the COM gets twisted back to square to the plate and drops (shifts to the middle at toe touch or 50/50) and then rotates forward(shifts into a firm front side). That’s how I see it. Here’s Miggy and Kemp.

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1074122240034127872?s=21
https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1076243017764237312?s=21

I think we see it the same way. The weight shifts during the preparation to swing. The weight is still back at toe touch (the coil is maintained), but the main shifting happens prior to toe touch. The hips are still loaded, back while moving forward. There is "some" weight transfer from toe touch to contact, but no real mass shifting forward after toe touch. The center of pressure does change, so if you want to call it weight shift that's OK, but there is not much if any actual shifting the mass forward at that point.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Look at COM still ‘back’ while his foots in the air. When the foot hits his COM ‘squares up’ and then finishes.

Pros aren’t 1 legged. Their COM is not their back hip. It’s their Core. That’s the rotation or pivot point. Imo

Yeah we see the same thing. I think the back leg is important and the idea of a rotational point "starting" at the back hip. The rotational point shifts forward as the swing unfolds.

Jan 28, 2017
Should you push with the instep of you back foot and coil around the back hip or just coil?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

I didn't realize that one-legged meant the "COM is the back hip". I must have missed that one... :)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Should you push with the instep of you back foot and coil around the back hip or just coil?

Imo if your pushing w anything from the foot something is off kilter or out of balance n your load. You leverage the ground and get your back heel ‘engaged’ and try to maintain that pressure. It will dissipate on its own from other ‘forces’. Mostly the COM and hips.

Watch Miggy, look for pressure alleviated in the backside leg when the COM does its transitioning to ‘center’.

Coil to me is a ‘reaction’ to a hitter loading the backside during gather. The amount is due to a hitters rhythm imo. Quicker hitters = shorter coil, deliberate hitters = longer coil. imo. Look at Chase Utley as compared to Josh Donaldson. Just style within the mechanic.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Imo if your pushing w anything from the foot something is off kilter or out of balance n your load. You leverage the ground and get your back heel ‘engaged’ and try to maintain that pressure. It will dissipate on its own from other ‘forces’. Mostly the COM and hips.

Watch Miggy, look for pressure alleviated in the backside leg when the COM does its transitioning to ‘center’.

Coil to me is a ‘reaction’ to a hitter loading the backside during gather. The amount is due to a hitters rhythm imo. Quicker hitters = shorter coil, deliberate hitters = longer coil. imo. Look at Chase Utley as compared to Josh Donaldson. Just style within the mechanic.

Your talking about vertical loading, stabilizing the back hip/leg as you load and creating leverage off the back heel.

Vertical loading,

giphy.gif

Note the lack of a forward weight shift.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478