Weight distribution

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Not sure if this is what you’re looking for - but just have them jump into the batters box and land on both feet, letting their knees flex a little.

Their bodies should naturally end up in a balanced, athletic position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Everyone says this, but like most baseball idioms, this is not a requirement for the stance. There are only three requirements - box grip with the hands, back foot pointed straight to the plate, and back heel on the ground. Theoretically, all of these could be broken as well if you end up this way at toe touch.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Not sure if this is what you’re looking for - but just have them jump into the batters box and land on both feet, letting their knees flex a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or find an UFA (up front action) that will allow the body to naturally fall into a FYB athletic position.

Nov 18, 2015
Everyone says this, but like most baseball idioms, this is not a requirement for the stance. There are only three requirements - box grip with the hands, back foot pointed straight to the plate, and back heel on the ground. Theoretically, all of these could be broken as well if you end up this way at toe touch.
I understand that, but I'm assuming that if the OP was asking for something that would help maintain balance or at least an even weight distribution, an answer that just changed the question may not be as helpful.

Now that we have additional information, Tewksbury had a drill where the front leg started raised - like on a bench, plyo box, or incline - to force the batter to almost push in the opposite direction (backwards) to swing, to encourage a firmer front leg.

Is this issue present on both tee swings and live pitching / soft toss?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just to clarify, when she swings, she often gets too much weight on the front foot.

Part of the equation is WHEN is weight getting to the front foot, as well as how much. A few weight shift concepts I like...
- The swing shifts the weight - shift AND swing, not shift THEN swing.
- Weight shifts against the front side, not over the front side.
- Weight shift is not back to front, it's back to middle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478