Wear current TB team gear to tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2016
Maybe years ago
Today great organizations all carry at least one crappy team that is the to collect checks.
I see girls in top tier organization jerseys who just can't play.

This is sadly the truth. My daughter plays for a good organization, and her team is solid - probably about 67% wins in high-level tournament play. The number one 18U team in the org is probably one of the top ten 18U teams in the country. There are a couple of teams playing 16U that only win when they get put into a weaker pool. Then they end up getting waxed in bracket play.

The problem is quick expansion. I can see a high level team wanting to have TWO teams per age group, but when they go from one to 4 or 5, you're going to necessarily see some dilution in the available talent.

Apr 28, 2014
This is sadly the truth. My daughter plays for a good organization, and her team is solid - probably about 67% wins in high-level tournament play. The number one 18U team in the org is probably one of the top ten 18U teams in the country. There are a couple of teams playing 16U that only win when they get put into a weaker pool. Then they end up getting waxed in bracket play.

The problem is quick expansion. I can see a high level team wanting to have TWO teams per age group, but when they go from one to 4 or 5, you're going to necessarily see some dilution in the available talent.

Yes talent is diluted and mostly at pitching
Such a huge disparity in pitching that separates good teams from the rest.

Jul 29, 2016
Yes talent is diluted and mostly at pitching
Such a huge disparity in pitching that separates good teams from the rest.

Yep. What we see is every team seems to have one really good bracket-level pitcher. They left the flagship team to play on the AAA-team (so to speak) so they could get more playing time and be the number one pitcher. What I see here is a significant fall off from pitcher number one and pitches 2 and 3. If you have two solid pitchers, you'll do okay. If you have three, you're going to do great. If you have four or more, you ARE the elite team in your organization.

Jul 22, 2015
As a coach I would care as much about what kind of shoelaces she wears as I would what kind of jersey she wears. Tons of reasons why someone would wear another team's jersey to your tryout. People move so it could be logistics. Coaches move on so it could be that. Teams fold. Kids age up. The list goes on and on. It's endless. Cant imagine coaches not realizing that.

Can't imagine why a coach would care what someone wears to a tryout. Completely insignificant.
Didn't say I care. If she can play I don't care if she shows up in a dress. Just said I don't understand it.

Mar 28, 2014
Didn't say I care. If she can play I don't care if she shows up in a dress. Just said I don't understand it.
Well now........I don't want to get into a back and forth but you're kind of revising history. You said "Wear a shirt that makes her easy to remember (school logo, bright color, whatever) but not a current team uniform. If you like them so much why are you at my tryout?

I mean.......... that doesn't sound like someone that doesn't care. My thoughts were if you didn't care, why would tell someone not to do it? But I digress. Not worth arguing about. You don't care, you just don't want them doing it.

Jul 22, 2015
Well now........I don't want to get into a back and forth but you're kind of revising history. You said "Wear a shirt that makes her easy to remember (school logo, bright color, whatever) but not a current team uniform. If you like them so much why are you at my tryout?

I mean.......... that doesn't sound like someone that doesn't care. My thoughts were if you didn't care, why would tell someone not to do it? But I digress. Not worth arguing about. You don't care, you just don't want them doing it.
Just wouldn't advise someone to do it. OP was asking for opinions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee