Wear current TB team gear to tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
I Appreciate everyone contributing. For those, again, more learned than I, have you ever heard of a situation where current players are told no need to attend tryouts. You can assume you are on the team.. HOWEVER, if i find someone better than you, you are off the team.
I have no problem telling current players don't come to tryouts, you're on the team, BUT, if you say that, you certainly cannot kick someone off because someone better showed up.

Mar 28, 2014
The softball community is really small
But teams change from season to season. That was my point. Maybe they thought they would join the team based on last season's team but when they showed up to tryouts things were different.

Mar 28, 2014
I Appreciate everyone contributing. For those, again, more learned than I, have you ever heard of a situation where current players are told no need to attend tryouts. You can assume you are on the team.. HOWEVER, if i find someone better than you, you are off the team.
Yes I have.

And it's a sign to get off of that team because their priorities are definitely out of whack. They're obviously more concerned with winning games than developing players. Funny thing is, the teams that do that are usually crap teams with unrealistic expectations and inexperienced management/coaching.

Mar 10, 2020
The jersey of the old team stayed with the old team.

Her reasoning is probably to say "hey look, I'm already on a team, but I want to get on a better team"....
"hey look, I'm already on a team, havent officially left them yet, i want a better team, if your team doesnt suit me, i'll tryout for another team behind your back also."

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
My DD wears a bright/neon shirt (usually a tournament shirt) and the craziest socks she can find. The socks started in league at practices and kinda became her style. She still does it when team rules don't require "uniform socks" for practices.

We also have an extra helmet and bag with no logos that she uses at tryouts. It may be weird, but I ask her to use them also when she picks up. Don't know why, but to me just seems weird to me to advertise your team while playing for someone else.

Jun 27, 2018
I coach a team and have seen this so many times. I never understand why a kid would do this or a parent would let them. Wear a shirt that makes her easy to remember (school logo, bright color, whatever) but not a current team uniform. If you like them so much why are you at my tryout?

I agree...I don’t understand why you would wear your current TB gear to a tryout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2012
Think a lot of the answers are coming from the perspective of the parents and coaches not the player. Tryouts are intimidating, suspect wearing another travel ball uniform is a way of showing you belong at this level. I don't think it's a great idea but I can understand a little where it might be coming from. We did spend a fair bit of time getting the fit right at most of the camps we took our daughter too.

Jul 29, 2016
My daughter went to a private tryout yesterday (one other player there who happened to be on my daughter's travel team). They wore their existing jerseys - bot of them. There are three "big name" organizations here, and they are currently playing on one org and looking to move to the other.

I agree with those of you who posted here, suggesting that its weird to do this. My daughter and I discussed it. My concern was that she'd essentially be advertising who she plays for now and that she's looking around. Better to be anonymous. Daughter disagreed, noting that she wanted everyone there to know she was currently a serious player with a serious team.

At the end of the day, I let her decide. Turns out the tryout was two coaches, their ace, and my daughter and her current teammate. So it didn't really matter.

Apr 28, 2014
Think a lot of the answers are coming from the perspective of the parents and coaches not the player. Tryouts are intimidating, suspect wearing another travel ball uniform is a way of showing you belong at this level. I don't think it's a great idea but I can understand a little where it might be coming from. We did spend a fair bit of time getting the fit right at most of the camps we took our daughter too.

Maybe years ago
Today great organizations all carry at least one crappy team that is the to collect checks.
I see girls in top tier organization jerseys who just can't play.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28