WCWS has begun!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Back on topic. Last night, it seemed like the OU defense was on a different level than Texas. And Jayda Coleman - putting on a show.
My teammates and I were talking about that last night while we were watching the game, drinking tea, and eating a Hawaiian pizza from a local pizza shop. OU played on a whole other level last night.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Watching this great play and have a question and an observation. Does the SS call off the 3rd baseman? Kind of looks like the 3rd baseman gives up on the ball. Maybe it's just the camera angle.
Observation: Both the SS and the 2nd baseman throw overhand. No sidearm dish. So, if two of the best middle infielders on the best team in the country throw overhand why do I see many coaches and player advocating/teaching sidearm for infielders.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Observation: Both the SS and the 2nd baseman throw overhand. No sidearm dish. So, if two of the best middle infielders on the best team in the country throw overhand why do I see many coaches and player advocating/teaching sidearm for infielders.

Good point...many coaches don't do a good job teaching throwing.

A coach should teach the middle infielders many different throwing methods.

Infielders need to throw the ball from different body positions and locations. They might throw overhand, sidearm, underhanded, shuttle, dart, etc.

Jun 8, 2016
Watching this great play and have a question and an observation. Does the SS call off the 3rd baseman? Kind of looks like the 3rd baseman gives up on the ball. Maybe it's just the camera angle.
3B just realized she had no shot at it. In terms of arm slot for Lyons, probably had to do with the way she caught it, eg. backhand on her knee. If possible you want to throw uphill (eg from a lower slot) there as a) it is easier to turn for 2B if the ball is a bit higher vs lower, eg if your throw is a bit off target b) the transfer is quicker if you are throwing from a slot closer to where you caught it. Jennings probably threw it OH because she caught it going towards third, a sidearm slot would be awkward doing that.

At the end of the day, like @sluggers mentioned, they should be able to throw from various slots and then just be athletic and use the right one for the situation (which takes experience). You cannot coach every situation...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Good point...many coaches don't do a good job teaching throwing.

A coach should teach the middle infielders many different throwing methods.

Infielders need to throw the ball from different body positions and locations. They might throw overhand, sidearm, underhanded, shuttle, dart, etc.
The dart should be one of the easiest throws, but I see players during pickles/rundowns that reach back to throw the ball. Drives me nuts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee