Ways to not drill to death but instill love of game play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I would play 'workup', but you'll have to pitch. I have everyone throw their gloves in a pile, I pick them out one at a time, the first 3-4 are hitters, then catcher, 1st base, 2nd base, SS, 3rd base, LF, CF, RF. You need a bucket of balls to keep things moving. Batters hit and run the bases, if they make it to home they hit again. If they make an out or get put out they go to RF, catcher hits, !st goes to catch, 2nd goes to 1st, SS to 2nd, 3rd to SS, LF to 3rd, etc, the whole team 'moves up'. The team loves it, they get to play all the positions and hit. To keep it moving the catcher stays at the backstop and puts the balls in a bucket rather than catch and return the ball to you, the pitcher. The girl who makes the out has to hustle in, get her glove and run out to RF, but I don't wait, I keep pitching. I constantly turn around and ask the infielders where the plays/outs are and correct plays to the wrong base, I also point out bad base running. I usually do it the last 20 minutes of practice.

Nov 26, 2019
I would play 'workup', but you'll have to pitch. I have everyone throw their gloves in a pile, I pick them out one at a time, the first 3-4 are hitters, then catcher, 1st base, 2nd base, SS, 3rd base, LF, CF, RF. You need a bucket of balls to keep things moving. Batters hit and run the bases, if they make it to home they hit again. If they make an out or get put out they go to RF, catcher hits, !st goes to catch, 2nd goes to 1st, SS to 2nd, 3rd to SS, LF to 3rd, etc, the whole team 'moves up'. The team loves it, they get to play all the positions and hit. To keep it moving the catcher stays at the backstop and puts the balls in a bucket rather than catch and return the ball to you, the pitcher. The girl who makes the out has to hustle in, get her glove and run out to RF, but I don't wait, I keep pitching. I constantly turn around and ask the infielders where the plays/outs are and correct plays to the wrong base, I also point out bad base running. I usually do it the last 20 minutes of practice.

Nov 26, 2019
This is perfect—exactly the kind of thing where I’m looking for. Not *quite* level of scrimmage and some equalizing factors (rotating positions, etc.) that makes it more fun for the very novice players.

Jul 22, 2015
We do a game with 3 groups of 4 or 5. Each group hits for 8 minutes off of a coach pitching behind a screen and tries to score as many runs as possible in their time. Keep the pace very fast. It moves at game speed and pressure and is sneaky conditioning for the offensive team. The other groups field and trade positions as necessary. We typically allow bunts. Overthrows get 1 base so it keeps moving.

Jan 8, 2019
Play over the line, or a customized version of it. Cone off left field, play for a few innings, then move cones to center, and right. Coach pitches whenever batting team is ready to go, promotes hustle by fielders. Just be careful that everyone is mostly ready to avoid any injuries.

Nov 26, 2019
Hey taylormeyer77, just want to give you props for coming on here and trying to put together a program that will benefit your girls. We had a big softball shakeup in our school district this year, and none of the previous coaches are returning at any level. I can only hope that some of the new coaches are lurking here and maybe learning something, but it's great that you're taking charge and soliciting advice.

Best of luck in your inaugural season!!
Thanks Rick! I'll need it! Funny how I grew up playing my entire life at a competitive level, and somehow managed to take for granted all that coaches ever did for us. Yikes!! Here's to karma. :) Thanks for the encouragement.

Nov 26, 2019
It's really simple, get yourself a mid-sixties throwing stud pitcher, they're everywhere!! This is where I insert one of these...... :rolleyes:

As @Rick M said, hats off to you for stepping up to the challenge, cause coaching HS parents can definitely be a challenge!!
Thanks so much! And yes, just hoping for that diamond in the rough pitcher. I know she's out there. :)

Jan 8, 2019
Thanks Rick! I'll need it! Funny how I grew up playing my entire life at a competitive level, and somehow managed to take for granted all that coaches ever did for us. Yikes!! Here's to karma. :) Thanks for the encouragement.
Yes, knowing how to play is not the same as knowing how to teach/coach. I recognized that very quickly in DD's 8U. Saw a girl throwing blatantly incorrectly. Me: "Hold up there, Sally SB. You're doing it all wrong. You need to throw like this..." I throw the ball. Sally SB: "Like what?" I tried to slow it down, and realized I had no clue what I was trying to teach her. Still have only a small clue about teaching, but at least I know that going in now.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
This is perfect—exactly the kind of thing where I’m looking for. Not *quite* level of scrimmage and some equalizing factors (rotating positions, etc.) that makes it more fun for the very novice players.

I have to confess that I use a front toss screen, I can longer throw strikes from the mound.

Feb 8, 2019
I love this!
you're able to get thru the whole team in 20 minutes?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom